NEW INTERFACE NEEDED, Filter for Wheelchair access with SPECIFICS

Elizabeth339
Level 2
Park City, UT

NEW INTERFACE NEEDED, Filter for Wheelchair access with SPECIFICS

Hello, I am both a host and a guest. I use a wheelchair. I see that others are asking for more specifics about what the box checked wheelchair access means and I agree, but I also want a filter. Then I can see about the bed height and grab bar in the bathroom and shower access as well as know that my room will come up when a filter is applied and also I can go to Boston, apply a filter, with my specific needs, and then find places that work for me. RIght now, people click wheelchair access when there are no steps, but I need way more information than that. I am hoping that some smart peope at AirBnB, including a software engineer put their heads together and come up with a far superior userw interface than is now available. RIght now, the only way I can get accessible lodging is go to a trusted hotel chain, and even then, interview the housekeeping person.  AirBnb is all about BELONGING, if so, users and hosts with disabilities need a much more sophisticated interface. HELP!

9 Replies 9
Wendy54
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

I agree.  I am also a host and a traveller. In my case, I use a wheelchair or mobility scooter but I am able to walk around inside a suite and don't need an accessible bathroom.  "Wheelchair accessible" means different things to different people. Right now, everyone is ticking that box, or not, based on their own understanding. That means that when wheelchair users want to find a place, they get more or less appropriate listings than there really are. I fully support defining this more specifically.

Elizabeth339
Level 2
Park City, UT

Thanks Wendy. Now let's hope the AirBnB people take these comments to heart. Elizabeth

DragonflyHill-Collective0
Level 10
Desert Hot Springs, CA

Most of the "wheelchair accessible" listings are not wheelchair accessible. This should not just be some box a host can check off. When hundreds of listings aren't accessible (no grab bars, a step into the shower, etc), it makes a search for truly accessible listings impossible. There should be a menu of access questions. I've brought this up repeatedly in many forums. Airbnb should hire DISabled hosts (especially those like us who are expert in access issues) to work on this.

Catherine577
Level 3
Memphis, TN

Disability-Friendly versus "Wheelchair Accessible". I searched wheelchair accessible in London & found 300 places listed as wheelchair accessible. As I reviewed the photos I did not find ANY that would accomodate someone with a disability/uses a wheelchair. Take the filter "wheelchair accessible" out ( no one truly gets it), and use "Disability-Friendly" under which you can be specific:  level entryway, no steps in accomodation, shower chairs for tub and/or shower, raised toilets, level entry to shower, grab bars near toilet & in shower & tub, bathroom sinks with wheelchair access, low counters, room for wheelchair throughout, whellchair accessible kitchen, laundry, etc. I'm in a wheelchair so these things come to mind. It was a joke to see wheelchair accessible flats in London that had steps to get inside. I couldn't possibly review all of them, and the term is widely abused. 

I want to add that sending an email to the host with having to select dates to book is a huge inconvenience. Why can't we send an "inquiry" email without selecting dates?

ABB MUST CHANGE THE FILTERS! This topic keeps coming up with no action from ABB. Although I host my home in the U.S. through ABB, I would not personally use this site to book a disabilty-friendly place when travelling. This is obviously a priority to travellers and hosts, so there's no excuse not to change the filters. We should also be able to flag accomodations that are not wheelchair friendly. 

Elizabeth339
Level 2
Park City, UT

Catherine- Amen sister for your comments. I also use a wheelchair and although it works for me as a host, it is useless when I travel. I can't successfully use it as a filter, it is useless. As far as I can tell the Air BNB people don't read these comments nor do they make this a high priorioty. Sad, as Trump would say.  The Air BNB people could improve these filters dramatically if they cared. Elizabeth

Catherine577
Level 3
Memphis, TN

@Elizabeth339 You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned their caring. They don't, apparently, otherwise the filters would have been changed/improved. Maybe they had someone who's not disabled advise them on the filters..lol! Unless it impacts the bottom line then this issue will not be addressed. We will just spend all day trying to find a truly wheelchair friendly accomodation...or not. 

And yes, I agree, i don't think they look at these posts. You and i should start our own site to accommodate disabled travellers...?

Thomas393
Level 2
Wood Islands, Canada

I am desperately trying to attract folks to whom full handicapped access is important but I can't seem to find any site that reaches them and in a full season my two units attracted NOONE who actually needed these features. I would love to see a smarter filter since the choices here on PEI, Canada are extremely limited.

Catherine577
Level 3
Memphis, TN

What's "PEI"?

Wendy54
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

At a recent host webinar, airbnb introduced categories ( I forget what they called them) like "family and "work " that have specific criteria. Hosts that met them get this extra searching tag so people wanting those things can more easily find them. In the webinar "accessibility " was listed as one of these categories but I notice that it isn't in the app yet (or at least it wasn't when I last looked). If they do go ahead and set up this category, I think that would really help guests with disabilities find accessible accommodation. Sure hope they do.