NO "48 HOUR GRACE PERIOD" STRICT BOOKINGS

NO "48 HOUR GRACE PERIOD" STRICT BOOKINGS

Hi Everyone...Is it just me or did Airbnb decide unilaterally that they would apply a 48hr grace period attached to the Strict Policy with or without our permission. As a Owner I vehemently oppose such a policy. First it makes no sense as we as Owners chose our own Cancellation Policy and per our agreement with Airbnb we have that right. Whose idea was this anyway?

I am not interested in changing my Strict Policy and should not have this shoved down my throat. A guest has an option of chosing another listing and it is my to my knowledge that both the cancellation policy and the house rules are tagged to the booking before they push the button to book. Why are we as hosts being penalized for setting our cancellation policies to  our own liking.

First of, THIS WILL NOT GET YOU MORE BOOKINGS. It will continually fraustrate you and have you in limbo, wondering if the person will cancel within the next 48 hrs. That is not good for any owners peace of mind. Next I have been with Airbnb for several years and 14days is not enough time for a new person to rebook. Chances (90%) are that they were looking when your "fake" guest booked your place, and then went somewhere else. I deal with most vacationeers and they book months in advance, not 14days. I would hate to see a booking on my place for thousands of dollars only to disappear 2 days later, because they have decided to "shop" my listing.

If we as Owners have decided we do not want any of this ridiculous policy of "Grace Period " attachment, why is Airbnb responding that they heard us loud and clear, then ignoring and disrespecting us by saying" But we will roll it out anyway.....May 1st? Not only are you providing a service that we do not want, but you are also exposing our addresses telephone numbers etc, to someone who hasn't booked. In fact a total stanger..I amdefinately not comfortable with that! and while we are on the subject, I chose not to let anyone know my exact location as an inquiry and I am sure I haven't lost any bookings because of it.

We do not want the "48hr Grace Period to the Strict Policy" period.

Pamela ****

Washington DC

7 Comments
Tina328
Level 1

I totally agree with Pamela. It is not reasonable and irresponsible! I do not see any good coming out of this for any host! 

Michelle863
Level 1

I completely agree also!

What’s the point of me having Airbnb at all, if people can cancel within 48 hours. What’s the point of having a strict cancellation policy?

If I rent this room on craigslist or anywhere else, there is a first months deposit and a 30 day cancellation notice. Period. 

Airbnb needs to reconsider or they will be losing my business

Adrian232
Level 2

Totally agree with all the above!!!

Andrea1063
Level 10

Thee is another thread with 25 pages and hundreds of comments that is not showing up in Popular or Featured - join the conversation:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/New-strict-cancellation-policy-update/td-p/652735...

Lizzie
Former Community Manager

Hello @Pamela275@Adrian232@Adrian232@Tina328

Thank you for sharing your concerns here about the changes to the Strict Cancellation Policy. I just wanted to highlight @Andrea1063's comment here.

Due to the feedback shared here in the Community Center, we have shared an update regarding this policy. If you haven't seen it already, please do take a look and share any further thoughts you have, I am feeding all of the community's feedback on this back to the team. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

(Particular thanks to you Andrea for sharing this). 🙂

Pamela275
Level 2

Hi Lizzie

I am unable to get on the platform. I also noticed something else in my reservations. Guests are now being told that there is only a $50 penalty for cancelling 14 days out but within 7 days its only $100! Can you please explain. Whatever happened to the 50% of booking penalty of cancelling within a week! Is this $100 in addition to? Please explain....

Thanks

Pamela

Louise231
Level 10

I'm pretty sure in the UK its the Law that a customer has the right to change their mind on any purchase and get a refund within 48hours. (as long as they havn't used the service/product already)

There are a few exceptions to this Law, but very very few, i think similar Law's apply across alot of Europe, and it's a bit of a 'norm' over here for the right of refund to be longer than 48 hours, (most places its a month) and customers get reaaaallly narky when they can't take something back if they change their mind. (again as long as it's unused)

Small businesses, big business, doesn't matter. You just take the hit and move on.

Even small traders don't mind it, because at the end of the day you're a seller, but you're also a consumer, and it helps you when you're buying things and change your mind- flights, or holidays, Or a dress to a wedding where you buy 3, decide on the day which to wear, and take the others back. (or not if you're a bit lazy like me!)