NO to default Instant Book option

Man-Mohan0
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

NO to default Instant Book option

I have been an AirBNB host for almost a year. I host the guest room in the same apartment that my wife and me live in. Since this is a platform for sharing your personal space with travelers, I need to know more about the guest (i.e. whether they have had favorable reviews from other hosts, have they shared enough details about them for me to be comfortable, whether there is some publicly available information about them from reliable sources, etc). Also, I only want to host for a certain number of days of a month (around 10-12) but without that many bookings, I cannot predict which days to block on my calendar. What if all days of the month are reserved for within a couple of hours when I am not able to access my AirBNB profile when I absolutely did not want this situation to arise. I have been a SuperHost in all the cycles when I have been evaluated and all my responses have been within 24 hours (in fact more than 90% of my responses have been within a few hours). However, by making selection of instant booking as default, it is putting hosts such as myself at a significant disadvantage as potential guests usually will not even get to see my listing as hardly anyone will unselect instant booking. If AirBNB infact wants to promote instant booking, then they should add additional options such as guests who have at least a certain number of ratings, with a certain level of rating, with some public profile, etc so as to make hosts more comfortable. 

18 Replies 18
Albert16
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree. Instant booking is being pushed too hard.

Ellen4
Level 1
Portland, OR

Instant booking can be helpful, but I have removed it from my listings as I have similar issues to Man Mohan.  

I also have had Superhost status quite alot, and found out that if I declined too many guests, which I rarely do, I will no longer have that status. It leaves too much on the shoulders of the host and not enough shared responsibility re guests staying in one's home.

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

Agree strongly -- Airbnb has tilted the field dramatically in favor of guests over hosts. With IB forced on us, our reviews  of guests are meaningless. The best, long-term superhosts are being cast aside because volume is what the bottom line demands.

Albert16
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I don't quite understand why Cathy says Instant Booking would make our reviews of guests meaningless.

Anyway, I want to see first who will be coming into my home since they will be sharing the space with us.

I've not been aiming to be a superhost - this seems to be judged on different terms than what is relevant or interesting to me. All I'd want to be is a "super host" in the eyes of my guests. I decline many requests.

Man-Mohan0
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

Is there any way I can give my feedback on these features to airbnb?

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

Our reviews of guests become virtually irrelevant because now they can book without us seeing their reviews, and cancellation comes with draconian penalties.

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

To answer Man's question, this forum is SUPPOSED TO bring our concerns and opinions to Airbnb, but from what I read, they are hellbent to impose IB regardless of the objections of the hard-working people who make all the money for them.

Man-Mohan0
Level 3
Jersey City, NJ

Has anyone tried other home-sharing platforms like HomeAway. If this is the attitude, I would be inclined to move away.

Albert16
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I can't use HomeAway because that is whole properties only. It seems TravelMob can do spare rooms, but I haven't looked into it any further.

Christopher117
Level 2
Negombo, Sri Lanka

It is a very great shame that airbnb are seeking to impose IB. It is completely against the founding spirit of the site. It is not in the interests of the original hosts who opened their homes to guests. IB is only in the interests of the professionals with multiple properties. 

Christopher117
Level 2
Negombo, Sri Lanka

Professional hosts with multiple properties have invaded the site with the connivance of AirBnB. It is time for somebody to start another site devoted to the interests of the original homeowner  hosts. 

Cathy65
Level 10
Bloomington, IN

I have even seen a listing for a sleazy Super8 motel on Airbnb. Is this what Airbnb wants to become?

Valerie27
Level 5
Victoria, Canada

All the comments seem to be people who are caring and kind individuals who are looking for guests with the same qualities. Perhaps Airbnb is moving away from people sharing their homes to people who own buildings and want to make the most money from them?