Nearest Transit Stop as Location

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Nearest Transit Stop as Location

I see Airbnb is testing a new Exact Location feature, and letting hosts choose the old “General Location” vs new “Exact Location”. I thought I'd suggest a better solution: Nearest Transit Stop.

Traditionally, unconfirmed guests only see a general location, which is the green circle on the map. The pro is your address isn't practically published on the internet, but the con is that people need an exact address to use something like Google Maps to estimate their travel times and options. 

With an exactly location, potential guests can plan better and be less surprised when they finally get the address, but I suspect the privacy concerns will far outweigh this benefit and most hosts will stick with General Location.

Since most guests who are still searching don’t actually care about the exact address, and just need to plan their travel route, I have been sharing the location of our nearest bus stop for enquiring guests. This way, our address is still kept private, yet they can tell straight away how far we are from the city or airport or wherever they are coming from, and whether or not our location will suit their needs before they book.

For listings that aren’t near any transit stop, a landmark, shop or intersection can also be used, as long as it’s within a couple minutes of walking it should be close enough for most people.

4 Replies 4
Andy155
Level 2
Milan, Italy

An excellent (and simple) compromise that affords security to the host, easy for Airbnb to apply.

John702
Level 2
Ketchikan, AK

I charge a set amount for up to 2 persons in one room. If 2 people want 2 rooms I charge the set amount plus an extra $30. The problem is that Pricing doesn't add the extra $30 fee so I have to after the guest see the itinerary. My listing does mention the extra $30 fee but it's awkward to tag it on after the guest has got a quote. Can this fee be added in pricing.

John702
Level 2
Ketchikan, AK

It sure would be nice to have "Spell Check" when I respond back to my guest when they inquire or book. Please please please. 

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

Nearest transit stop - wonderful idea -as a woman living on my own  I certainly would never list my exact address.  In fact I would de-list rather than run that risk.

Goodness there are unrelated comments under most topics now - airbnb bug or user error? who knows.