New Extensive Guest Reviews - Too many options, passive aggressive outlet, not good!

New Extensive Guest Reviews - Too many options, passive aggressive outlet, not good!

Has anyone else noticed the new very extensive review process that Airbnb has implimented?  As a host, it's really frustrating because this is where people get the most passive aggressive.  As a host, you're already scrutinized over everything, but to really allow the guests to dig deep into each individual aspect of their stay (ie:  "smells" and "sounds", REALLY??) is really problematic.  For example, our last guest left a private review that there was a "nauseating smell of burnt meat" on the "cleanliness/smells" star.  First of all, we didn't cook at all while this guest was in our house, she must have smelled one of the neighbors cooking, and second of all, we're in Sicily, so there are definitely going to be food smells coming in from all angles at certain times a day.  This feedback really bothered me because it was unnecessary and obviously had nothing to do with us since it wasn't even coming from our house.  I would've preferred these guests just keep these types of thoughts to themselves and enter it in the private feedback to me, rather than giving them the option of selecting specific things to complain about.  As a host who has new guests almost every 2 days, the last thing I need to hear is random complaining from guests about very little things.  Obviously as a superhost, I do my best to make sure their stay is 100% comfortable.  My feelings are also important and I don't need to hear every two days something really small and meaningless that I can't control (like food smells in Italy).  Reading passive aggressive feedback actually makes me really upset and I'm getting to the point where I really just don't want to bother hosting anymore.  I'd prefer going back to the basic rating system.  It's faster for the guest to leave reviews and much less harsh on the host.

9 Comments
Lydia48
Level 1

Dear Lisa, it is refreshing to read your comments. I hope Airbnb takes note. I find it a bit frustrating as hosts we have no recourse to set the record straight on feedback they leave privately with airbnb, we are not offered the medium to discuss the authenticity of their comments other than the public arena, and this is not place to discuss minor details. Is there anyway as hosts we can defend ourselves about unwarranted comments from guests like this?  which as you mention are quite damaging to our ratings. I have recently had a similiar experience, I have had an immaculate ratings continuously to date but some minor comments from my last guest privately to airbnb and the damage has been done. If this is going to be a lopsided practice perhaps leaving the airbnb community is a consideration.

Julia-And-Hugo0
Level 6

I feel we should be able to see the guest's comments before they go live to air, so that we can discuss our input with Airbnb beforehand.

This is how it used to be when I became a host a year ago.  So what happened??

Lisa367
Level 10

We also had a guest give us a 3 star review on check in because we didn't show him what he could eat for breakfast.   yeah... we don't offer breakfast, or any other food items.  It says so right there on the listing in THREE different places.  so why do we deserve a 3 star rating because he's an idiot??

Ange2
Level 10

@Lisa367   I agree.  I am so over guests being passive agressive. Mentioning for example, things I do not have, but, I do not offer them anywhere in the description anyway, what is that about?  The worst is mentioning something that did not bother them, they even say it is in the description, but it might bother other people!   Public spirited or mean spirited? Or just unthinking?

p.s. I also wonder if it's merely food to feed their insatiable and crazy algorithms and has little other purpose.

On a more humorous note I have read about guests complaining about bird-song, church bells and one that the "soap was too soapy"!

Lisa367
Level 10

@Ange2 Ugh, amen.  it's the hosts here that need to be treated better, not the guests.  we only charge 30 euros per night for our room, no deposit or cleaning fee, and these guests still treat our house like a hotel.  our last guest had an "explosive situation" in the bathroom, then walked across the floor dripping period blood all over our shower rug... then they get to have 200x more options for reviews?? what??  i would LOVE to leave star ratings for guests that other people can actually see.  as a host, it would be nice to be able to look at a star rating of a guest, rather than just the reviews.  guests could still instant book, but if a host looks at their rating and see they are a 1 or 2 star guest, they should get to cancel the rating without penalty.   i think airbnb forgets sometimes that as a host you're welcoming people into your home.  people need to act respectful.

Mary-Ann0
Level 10

I am with you @Ange2 and @Lisa367!

I have experienced this "it would be nice" stuff, and this and that "would be an improvement".  Well gee if I had what "would be nice" and what "would be an improvement", then well gee then it would be "nice" to get much more money per night because then I could charge much more for my apartment ..... wonder if they think that would be nice too? 

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived

Lars23
Level 2

i do not have so many guest staying at my place and most of them stay 6-12 weeks so i always managed to fix what seems to be a problem. but i fully understand we all want to get good reviews for our space we rent out, especially if we do a good job. but to expect all of us to be 5star operators and not make mistakes is kind of ridiculous. 

but i have been a bit puzzled over the ratings. atleast the last time i had an aibnb guest staying i did not receive a specific rating from that guest so it is not possible for me to see if that particular guest was unhappy with something. i find that a bit odd. it is all added up to a total of what all my guests has rated their stay. 

and another thing i am not happy about is that it seems like the rating of location is a lso a bit strange. my place is located a bit outside the town center. it is the best suburb in melaka with all you need almost on the front step. but i get a feeling most guests rate the my place not so great because it is a bit out of town. and i can not see how that is fair. i can not do anything about my location? my home is where it is. if you want to stay in town you stay in town, right? 

anyhow, the consequence is that i get a little poorer rates than i think i deserve due to this. and now when i have not had many guest from airbnb staying i fear my account will be suspended because my last review was only a 4 star so i will fall below the line.

i really find that odd since i dare to say, without bragging,  i have a great place for slow travelers. probably the best one for the price i charged. but most people visiting melaka only stay a few nights and stay in the very city center.

when i joined airbnb, i thought the great thing about airbnb was to provide unique accommodation. if i just need a place to sleep i do not really need airbnb. 

thanks for reading 🙂

Jodi-K0
Level 1

Hello Everybody!

I totally agree with all of you! The last view guests I had were awful!  I lost superhose because of them.  Here is what happened.  Chris Wise Told me his wife was going to stay, she was not cleared by airbnb. I told him does she work, what does she do?  He told me she worked for him. , she does not work, walked around here using all my products, kitchen shower ect, made a mess and did nothing all day!  This is the WORST of it all, she was not his wife, they just met a month ago at a BAR.   Chris also said he was going  to video tape me in my home! Guess what they are no longer together. 

The last couple fought alot and one of them on a nightly basis would be on the frontroom couch sleeping.  They cooked everyday smelling up the place and leaving their food out for 5 days. then said the kitchen was not open enough for them.  Took showers for 30minutes taking all the hot water.  Would wait till I got home then both of them would jump to the bathroom to take a shower. 

I live next to the Ritz Carlton in Marina Del Rey, the price to stay there is 1,000 a night I charge 94.  with they same amenities like a resort, they want to pay 1,300 for 2 months.  This is all the time, they sweat me for a lower price and want babysitter to come stay and not pay. Because of these idiots and the reviews I lost superhost.  It was all lies and cause me stress, I just finished chemo for breast cancer.  

I no longer let anyone stay that is not checked out by airbnb.  I tell them this is what has to happen.