New Strict (with grace) Period Concern - Do not share identifiable property info for 48 hours

New Strict (with grace) Period Concern - Do not share identifiable property info for 48 hours

Hi - I was presented with the option to turn on the STRICT (with grace period) option for my listing.  I would be comfortable doing it (because I think it is right for the consumer) and taking the financial risk but I am VERY concerned about protecting my physical location and entry instructions from folks who are NOT confirmed guests.  This is one of the main reasons I choose strict...I figure unscrupulous actors will not risk a financial penalty and instead go after "lower hanging fruit".  I use lock boxes and electronic locks for the ease of check in for my guests.

My recommendation:  Allow this feature BUT change the viewability of the EXACT ADDRESS, ACCESS INSTRUCTIONS or WIFI INFO to the guest until after the 48 hours window has elapsed and they are truly a "confirmed guest".  This allows the flexibility to guests (which I support) and still protects hosts from bad actors.

Thanks!

40 Comments
Helga0
Level 10

Apart from the security concern, there is another one: people may book, cancel and walk by to offer a cash deal. 

Strict condition is used for full apartments or higher prices rather than room rents, so there is a chance it might not be rebooked as fast as a cancelled cheaper room. 

Kelly149
Level 10

@Marie677 my HomeAway listing is like this, there is a button that I can choose "Allow Access", I believe at some point (14 days before arrival) it goes live automatically, but until then I have the choice to hide it

Nick291
Level 1

This is a huge security risk!

Jonathan333
Level 1

Marie, you have a great point and I think your recommendation is spot on!

Ange2
Level 10

@Marie   Great idea 

@Kelly149  Perfect solution, the  "Allow Access" feature on HomeAway,  with one tweak, I think there should be an option for hosts to choose between sending the information manually i.e. when they decide all is fine,  or opt for automatic send within xxx days of arrival.

Lloyd24
Level 1

How do I get srict 30 day cancellation notice for rental on airbnb when the resort my unit is at requires 30 days notice to get my money back? Lloyd

KandT0
Level 10

Great minds think alike.

I contacted Airbnb directly to tell them I'd activate the 48-hour grace period as long as a guest would not get our street address and other contact info until after the period expires.

I was told to post the idea here.

Glad to see you're all way ahead of me.

Pat75
Level 2

What is airbnb doing about three security information then?  Is it holding back for 24 hours?  Does the grace period exclude superhosts from,being punished for canceling within the b timeframe?

How do we turn off the grace period? I never agreed to offer that and cant find how to get out of it.

KandT0
Level 10

@Cate-and-Justin0  Should be here: https://www.airbnb.com/manage-your-space/12345678/booking/policies -- You'd just need to replace the number there with your own listing's number