No charge for babies?

No charge for babies?

Did I miss the memo here? Did Airbnb ask hosts about this decision?

Okay, I get it that people with infants usually bring portable beds, but once they're up and running, my inclination would be to charge extra rather than not charge for toddlers. Up to a year, sure.

We're absentee hosts, but our friend who does our turnovers and reports how people left our cabin often reports having to do extra cleanup, cope with quantities of disposable diapers, etc. And it's totally easy to understand how a mom with teeny-tinies is hard pressed to be out at checkout time, much less tidy up the dishes and mop the squashed blueberries off the floor, and the cupboards, and the furniture... 

Fortunately, our accountant recently advised us that our property, on a main road and unfenced on one side, simply isn't appropriate for kids under 6, so we have changed our policy and rent only to adults and people with older children. But I think Airbnb is imposing on hosts with this one, and I'd suggest re-thinking it.

13 Comments
Cathy65
Level 10

Not only is this an ill-considered, top-down imposition; it is presented all sugar-coated as if they are doing us a favor with "improved controls" -- please, don't insult our intelligence! And let US decide whether to charge for toddlers in our homes 

Mary-Ann0
Level 10

Yes and anybody who has children or has been around children knows that there is a big difference between an "infant" that needs to be carried around and confined to a crib or baby seat, and a toddler (9 mos – 2 yrs) who can be actually running around getting into many things if not watched constantly and can get hurt.

I know my apartment is not toddler proof and I won't have it.  Maybe under certain circumstances I might accept an infant, but if they have started to crawl, which is usually around 7 months then no - it is too risky that the child could get hurt and with the kind of support that I see hosts getting, no I don't think so.

This is ridiculous - only a host that has never had children would think that this might be okay.  I have children and grandchildren and know a little bit about how toddlers are.  This is not the movies or a reality show - this is real babies we are talking about here!

Just look at all you have to do to make your home safe and toddler proof:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/parenting/child-rearing-and-development/how-toddler-proof-your-home...

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10

Yes, this is a massively stupid move, one that they tried last year (maybe the year before?) and it was squashed.  They seem to be more committed to this initiative as they've actually informed us now via a ridiculous newsletter.      Either we're independent contractors able to set our own rules, or we're not.  If I'm actually an employee, then cut me in on that nice corporate health plan!

Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10

How many security deposit claims will there now be for chocolate-handed toddler prints on couches and bedding?  How many more claims for sleep accidents from babies in the bed?  How many late-night plumbers called for diaper-clogged toliets?  Is Airbnb going to allow us to charge for extra pest control services to ensure that cheerios dropped under couches and beds that attract ants and roaches?  How about lead remediation - especially in all those beautiful historic homes that guests love so much on your platform?  What will be the charge for hardwood floors and carpets ruined by crayons, markers, or toddler toys played with vigor and enthusiam by a 2 year old? 

I don't have children BY CHOICE.  My home is not ready or set up for small children of any kind.  I don't want them in my home with my expensive things and inattentive parents who might not watch their little one trying to get into my very tall and very heavy Armoires in the living room that are not attached to the wall.  And I certainly don't want to have to repremand someone else's child in my own home after a toddler starts to play with one of the 3 open fireplaces.  Nor do I want to start writing reviews about children and their behaviors or writing an even LONGER list of house rules to make sure potential guests follow guidelines to make me feel comfortable in my own home.  Being subjected to the reviews from parents who were expecting a TV that we mention several times we do not have to play endless loops of Tella Tubbies to occupy their infant only fills me with dread.  What kind of review will I write when a small infant decides to have a melt down in my home  at 2 am waking us up and keeping us from getting the sleep we want and demand for our jobs - the jobs that pay for this property that we generously share with the Airbnb platform.

Andrea9
Level 10
Which uninformed minds decided that babies don't use resources or cost a host money?? Higher heating temperature to keep the little ones warm and toasty; Water is something needed quite a bit for baby bathing, washing ....; Extra vomit cleaning and upholstery dry cleaning...
Fiona0
Level 5

The end result of this will be less listings available for babies.

Our room is absolutely NOT suited for children under the age of 12.

Thats stated in our offer.

When we are forced by AirBnb to accept children and something bad happens...

We are busted by law.

We can held accountable for every injury the small ones suffers.

That ist the law here in Germany.

And because we knew that the room is not suited for children we can be punished even harder.

That would possibly ruin someones life forever.

I can't see the problem to fix the searching routine properly.

Show search results and booking options only when the requirements are complied for the specific needs of the guests.

That has nothing to do with discrimination.

That is COMMON SENSE!!!!

Luigi27
Level 8

I wont accept infant if they don't pay the extra guest fee.

They also go to the toilet and they use water and electricity for air conditioning.

Airbnb did not ask me anything about this change! 

Cristiana0
Level 3
Status changed to: Archived

Suzan3
Level 2

Please call Airbnb to complain abou this.  I just did and am replying to their customer service about the issue. 

If a lot of us do this, maybe they will change this policy.