Non-discrimination

Mike11
Level 4
Cape Town, ZA

Non-discrimination

We advertise a double or an additional single bed (intended for a child), for the same price.

We face a problem with guests wanting either a double - or single bed, and do not know which, especially if they are gay or lesbian etc. (we also get kite-surfing guys who do not really want to sleep together).

Where they want to sleep on one or seperate beds, it would be easy to ask their preferences beforehand on the booking form, without causing offence.

At the moment on receiving a booking, we have to write and ask if they are a gay/lesbian etc. couple.

6 Replies 6

There are plenty of times when we have guests who are happy to sleep in the same bed despite not being a couple. It's never necessary to ask about the relationship status of the guests; you need only ask whether they would also like the additional bed to be prepared or are comfortable sharing the double.

Mike11
Level 4
Cape Town, ZA

"....you need only ask whether they would also like the additional bed to be prepared or are comfortable sharing the double..."

Yup! On the bookinbg in form -which translates to me a figure of how many beds are needed.

Helena174
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Incidentally, I am already looking at the number of guests on an inst- booking, -so why can't Airbnb aalso ask this with just a click of the pointer on the booking-in form? 

Elenor0
Level 3
Dunedin, New Zealand

There is no justification for asking about the relationship of two people who book your place. You have to always prepare both beds. Often two people will want separate beds even if they are a couple, for instance if one is not feeling well.  

Helena174
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Elenor,

this is just to make things easier for us, (and saving the client some possible embarassment).

Relationships do not come into this, it is just so we EASILY can see who/what to prepare the plac for.

I have already been asked twice whether I have any problem with gay people and it is 50% to obviate this.

AirBnb is already asking, and all I'm saying is that they should quantify their information. Easy!

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Helena174:  My comment is strictly focused on discrimination and not about the bed situation.  My husband and I have been forced into the group of Hosts who can no longer view our potential Guests profile picture - all because of the issues that Airbnb is experiencing worldwide with Hosts who do discriminate.  We're suffering because of it, in several ways.  Most recently, we just booked with someone who doesn't meet our minimum age requirement of 25, but Airbnb refused confirm his age - only that they're over 18, although this is a House Rule and we can't SEE our Guests.  The reason why I mention this is that ALL Hosts may suffer ultimately, if we all don't commit to being sensitive and intelligent about how we treat our Guests.  There is no reason in the world why anyone should be asked if they're gay.  No reason. By doing so, you risk impacting all Hosts with another onerous and indiscriminate policy that harms all of us, not just those who discriminate.  Thanks!