ONLY ONE PRICE !!!!! NOT price ....... plus cleaning........plus service fee... plus taxes !

Lesley66
Level 2
Saint-Léger, France

ONLY ONE PRICE !!!!! NOT price ....... plus cleaning........plus service fee... plus taxes !

Hello to the hosts of AIRBNB, 

I just thought that I would let you know why I think that I am now receiving less AIRBNB reservations.

I have always seen the side of the host and never had time to go on holiday.....but this year I took a couple of weeks and decided to book my accommodation by AIRBNB ......"what did you expect ?"

I must say experiencing the other side of AIRBNB 'the travellers' is truly a lesson in itself !

I was amazed to see a certain price announced and when I clicked on the page there were other prices such as cleaning, service charges, taxes all added on which changed considerably the price.  I spent hours looking for accommodation and each time I clicked on a price once on the site the cleaning and other taxes varied enormously. 

I think that AIRBNB should make it OBLIGATORY to put the pricing all together - ONE PRICE .... no added surprises, keep it simple !

Keep it simple, keep it simple, keep it simple and that goes for throughout the AIRBNB site.

When I finally managed to make a booking where the dates advised me that the appartment was vacant I received a refusal, so I had to go through all the hullabaloo again !!!!    For my B&B I only have one price and that is how it is going to stay !

21 Replies 21
Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

My "cleaning fee" is essentially a multi-night discount, so I like it. Airbnb should definitely show the total price in the map, if you put in the dates you want to book. I thought it did, and if it doesn't, they definitely should fix that.

Diane84
Level 4
California, United States

WE can make simple our cleaning fees but the other charges are out of our control- Air BnB adds them 

Chris331
Level 2
Miami, FL

My cleaning fee is also essentially a multi night discount b/c it's too  much work & extra laundry for just a one night booking, but no way to charge extra for a one night booking.   Also Miami adds sales tax & occupancy tax. The totals ARE visible to he guest before they pay. What would be nice is for where the fee  is listed to say (plus applicable local taxes) to alert guests.

What is a cleaning fee? We insist on free cleaning and fresh linen after 7 nights scheduled once a week thereafter. at no extra cost. But no discount for a 7 night stay. Some guests ask for a daily clean, we do this but without a linen change and charge a fee, not listed on Air. The reason is that for longer stays we want to ensure that our apartment does not become a total mess.

Sylvie217
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hi,

I am new at this but I think that in the price we see the cleaning fees that the host will charge. I don't know about the tax but I think it would be great to see before booking the total of the charges with the cleaning fees and Tax. The bill could show a detail list of the fees and what they are for, with the Airbnb %  that they take  and the total. Do they charge Tax on the cleaning fees?

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

yes, i would certainly ditch my cleaning fee IF i could charge more for a 1 night reservation

David1098
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

This feature was implemented when I was in Australia. It worked so well. Some experiment must have been being conducted. 

Catherine137
Level 3
San Anselmo, CA

Our cleaning fee is $150 so adding that to the nightly price does not make sense for us.  If you put in the dates it does show the total nightly price.  If doing a search w/o dates, your base price will show without fees.

Kayleigh1
Level 2
Stamford, United Kingdom

I agree, I'm a host and have tried to use Airbnb for our own holidays. Each time we've looked we've ended up booking via a different website where you can see the total price in the search results. Having to click onto every listing to see if there's any cleaning or additional person fees and what the service fee is makes the whole process time consuming, laborious and frustrating. I'm also aware of friends and family saying that this has stopped them from booking with Airbnb in the past so I know I'm not alone.

Airbnb - please make it easier for potential guests to see what places are in budget on the search page. I'm sure it would increase conversion rates for all of us.

Lesley66
Level 2
Saint-Léger, France

Thanks Kayleigh for your comments, glad I am not alone.  I never realized this problem until I searched myself for a place to stay. Regards, Lesely

Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

I'm pretty sure that if you enter in the dates and the number of guests in your search, it will show you the average nightly fee (including guest and cleaning charges) in the search resuilts. I just tested this with my own listing in the results. All it doesn't include is the Airbnb fees (which it should). I don't think this is as big of an issue as people are making it. All you have to do is finish entering in your search and stay parameters and it will show you enough to be able to properly compare the different listings and relative cost.

Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

It's the same way when looking at hotels. They show the nightly charge, and after you get closer to booking, you can see the total cost after the taxes and fees. Are people having problems because they aren't entering in their stay parameters when they search (dates and number of guests)?

Michelle

You don't think that this has to do with AirBnB taking their commission from the base price and not the add ons? Reduce the price, increase the add ons, pay less commission?

Michelle140
Level 5
Palmyra, VA

I was not aware of that. I thought I paid them according to the whole cost. Regardless, when you search, IF you enter in your dates and number of guests, then the search results show the average nightly rate for all results (including cleaning and extra guest charges). I think this is to be expected. Just like with hotels, they advertise the nightly rate, and then when you check out, it shows the added taxes and fees. I don't see a problem.