Two request booking at the same time?

Answered!
Maria174
Level 2
Heraklion, Greece

Two request booking at the same time?

Hi!  I am new host and I am confused with a booking.

I received almost 2 days ago a request for a 3 days booking, I pre approved the request saying that our house is available and at the same day I decided to turn on instant booking. Then last night I received two messages with one hour difference, first there was a message for a new request through instant booking  the same dates with the request that I pre approved two days ago and secondly I received a message from the person that I pre approved 2 days ago asking if the house is still available. What should I do according to airbnb rules?

Which one has priority? 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Maria174,

I would suggest you turn off Instant Book for awhile until you become familiar with Airbnb.  With IB, people can book your place without even talking to you and it is best to screen your guests so you feel comfortable.

There is a difference between an "inquiry" and a "request".  First of all, Airbnb recommends to guests to send inquiries to all the listings they are interested in.  So, if someone sends an inquiry, they may be inquiring on 10 other listings in your area and if they decide on another listing, you will not be notified.  If you pre-approve and inquiry, you are basically saying that you are alright with them booking.  They can then go through with booking your listing and if they decide, they will complete the checkout and your place will be confirmed.

With a reservation request, the person actually wants to book your listing.  If you approve their request, the booking gets confirmed instantly as long as they have their payment details entered.  

The other thing you need to know about "inquiries" and "requests" is how they relate to your response rating.  For an inquiry, all you have to do is respond once and your response rating will not be affected.  With a request, you MUST either approve or decline the request within 24 hours or your response rating will decline.

I highly recommend you click on the link below and check out the many Help Guides I have created as there it a wealth of information for new hosts like yourself.

Good luck and happy hosting @Maria174!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Maria174,

I am somewhat confused as with Instant Book, they do not need to make a request, it gets automatically booked.  Generally, if you get more than one person sending reservation inquiries, you can approve them all and the first person who books gets the reservation.  

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Hi Dave & Deb,

I think you are right in what you are saying but my problem is that one of the request was made before I turned on instant book. This is why I am asking which of the two has priority in booking, the one that I preaproved before turning on instant book or the one that booked after I turned on instant book. 

Hi @Maria174,

The one with Instant Book has priority since they confirmed the reservation first.  The only way you can get rid of that is by cancelling the reservation which brings huge penalties to you: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

Please verify if the IB one is confirmed.  If you accepted the request, it would have automatically booked.  Are you sure the first person was a "request" or was it an "inquiry"?

David

Hi Dave & Deb,

I just checked that the first person was an inquiry, so I imagine that I have to decline it and accept the other one with instant book. I also think that I will turn of instant book because it seem to me rather confusing as I am a new host. Will I be penalised if I turned down the first person that sent an inquiry?

Hi @Maria174,

I would suggest you turn off Instant Book for awhile until you become familiar with Airbnb.  With IB, people can book your place without even talking to you and it is best to screen your guests so you feel comfortable.

There is a difference between an "inquiry" and a "request".  First of all, Airbnb recommends to guests to send inquiries to all the listings they are interested in.  So, if someone sends an inquiry, they may be inquiring on 10 other listings in your area and if they decide on another listing, you will not be notified.  If you pre-approve and inquiry, you are basically saying that you are alright with them booking.  They can then go through with booking your listing and if they decide, they will complete the checkout and your place will be confirmed.

With a reservation request, the person actually wants to book your listing.  If you approve their request, the booking gets confirmed instantly as long as they have their payment details entered.  

The other thing you need to know about "inquiries" and "requests" is how they relate to your response rating.  For an inquiry, all you have to do is respond once and your response rating will not be affected.  With a request, you MUST either approve or decline the request within 24 hours or your response rating will decline.

I highly recommend you click on the link below and check out the many Help Guides I have created as there it a wealth of information for new hosts like yourself.

Good luck and happy hosting @Maria174!

David

Hi Dave & Deb,

Thank you very much for your help 🙂 I will take your advice and turn off IB for the moment. I think that I am the kind of host, at least for the moment, that wants to screen guests before they book. 

I will also have a good look at your Help guides!!

Not everyone can instantly book with IB - I have it set so that only folks who are recommended by previous hosts can book instantly - otherwise, they still need to request.

I blocked off two dates in Early August for a friend's family event. Someone was able to instant the same dates. My friend was  quite upset that she was inconveneinced. what can I do and how could this have happened?