PLEASE Listen to Hosts and Put the Reviews Back in Order

PLEASE Listen to Hosts and Put the Reviews Back in Order

Moved

Every posting that has been written about this subject I have voted thumbs-up on. I disliked the order that the reviews are now.  As a host, it is nice to have the last review to read.  It helps guests determine how often guests are staying at a particular place.  Since we sometimes have long term guests our last review is months old.  Now that our last 2 guests have been outside the USA both of those reviews are bumped back to page 8.  REALLY!  Since these guests were not from the USA they get put back to page 8 instead of #1.  We are all advised by Airbnb not to discriminate.  Then why in the world would you do that to guest’s reviews that are not from the same country???

As a Guest, I like to see the most recent or better yet offer an OPTIONS box to view as you wish just as you have on your Community page. This would make everyone happy.

Please change this as it is hurting business not only for host but for Airbnb as a company.

12 Replies 12
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Robert-And-Nancy0

and so say most of us.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Darleny0
Level 2
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Oh god please! 

Susan598
Level 6
Urrbrae, Australia

Yes indeed! This has outcomes I suspect Airbnb has not considered...one resulting in a perverse incentives and the other in discrimination. Let me explain...

About 90% of my customers are domestic. This means I could choose to put way more effort into my domestic guests' happiness than foreigners. For the odd foreigner that comes I am secure in the knowlege that their review will never be seen by 90% of my potential customers.

Now of course I put equal effort into all 'cause it's nicer and more fun. But not all hosts are the same, of course.

My point here is that when you create a policy, it's very important to purposefully consider any perverse incentives you might be creating, and to check it's not in conflict with other policies. 

I agree with Robert and Nancy that this policy is discriminating. Hosts can offer poorer service to some groups based on whether they look or sound the same.

I was told by Airbnb customer service that guests believe people from their own country more than foreigners -but what country/culture is it exactly that doesn't value cleanliness, kind hosts, excellent service and value for money???? 

Finally, guests want to know what the place was like yesterday rather than when a compatriot stayed there last year.

Seems pretty obvious and straightforward to me.....

Sue

Samantha147
Level 2
Eugene, OR

I completely agree with your sentiments. More recent reviews carry more weight than old ones and as a traveler, I don't want to wade through lots of reviews to find out the current condition of the unit or the current level of hospitality provided by the host. 

I think the best argument for rearranging the reviews would be to help a traveler find and read reviews in their native tongue. But I have found the translation option provides a pretty good, if not perfect, sense of reviews in other languages anyway.

Sam

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I'm with you, too!
Michele4
Level 9
Munich, Germany

Amazingly still no response from airbnb. Could please someone acknowledge it at least?

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

Yes put them back in the right order please.

Don't delay any further.

I notice Airbnb has listened a few times to what we say and have changed some features of their site but the two most bugging me are the reviews and the infants being free.

Some hosts around here don't even know "up to 5 infants are free", I'm waiting for the surprise guests to turn up to their places, ha ha ha.

Maryann-And-Mark0
Level 2
Vincentia, Australia

Totally agree,
In Australia we are in the middle of our peak summer booking season.
Recently received latest review, which was glowing, however Review was buried back in March as review Number 8 out of 60 plus
Hosts depend on current up to date, relevant Reviews to attract customers during peak season.

Please rectify to reflect current reviews in chronological order.

Priscilla46
Level 5
Concord, MA

Oh God - if you read the on-line threads this review thing is one of the most talked about - with anger and frustration. PLEASE tell me why they do this??? The crap about foreign hosts booking see reviews from their country first is ridiculous. So Germans see one review in German?  But wait, all my foreign guests speak English and are booking in an English-speaking area. Obviously this practice increases airbnb's profits at our expense - but I cannot figure out how. It reduces bookings as guests see NO reviews for several months assuming others have decided not to book there.  Hmm - let me check local hotels - this place isn't an option.  If this could be addressed I would shut up about anything else. But - if you watched the last forum - you will note that the simplest of questions was answered by a ten-minute utterly irrelevant DUCK of an answer.  These practices have convinced me that airbnb is not listening and, like Uber, may find its arrogance is opening the way for serious competition.  I am booking with VRBO.  Too bad - airbnb had a good lock on the market until they decided our concerns really didn't matter and if they pretended to listen to hosts with "efforts" like this we might be happy. Surprise! 

Fiona-and-Paul0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Priscilla for raising this issue, again.

You'll note that nobody has argued against your arguments in the forum.

Why, oh why is there no response, nay, action fom Airbnb?

Paul

Richard631
Level 2
Radwell, United Kingdom

I completely agree with this thread an all the others on this subject.  Hey AirBnB, we are the ones who make you money, you are wrong and we are right, so fix it how we want.

Of all the 138 reviews from people from all over Europe we've had in the last 18 months, that's 7 x four* and the rest five*; One - just ONE has been in a language other than English.  

It's bad for our business when 6 out of 8 five* reviews from last month are buried pages back.

So stop messing around and put them in proper cronological order like they should be.

If you don't fix it, then my choices are:

Abandon AirBnB and host elsewhere (you know where I mean)

Decline foreign bookings.  (I don't want to do that, but I can)

You know what to do.  Thankyou.

Fiona-and-Paul0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree with Richard. 

But I don't want to decline foreign bookings. That's the point.  Airbnb was supposed to be about a home being anywhere. But to segment these freely travelling folk into segments defined by language  does not keep the Airbnb brand 'on message'.

Actually, it goes against the message. Directly against it. Especially as translations of reviews (OK not perfectly, but good enough) are so readily available.

It's a kick in the teeth to the hardworking host who entertains people from many different lands.  And yet, to poential guests, appears to be short of business...

Please listen to your customers, as you keep telling us you do. Change this arrangement to prioritise chronology over language spoken.

Thank you

Paul