Please!! New Credentials for Superhost Status

Please!! New Credentials for Superhost Status

To become a Superhost, you need to have 

• Received a 5-star review at least 80% of the time you’ve been reviewed, as long as at least half of the guests who stayed with you left a review.

I truly believe the 80% 5-star requirement has to get tougher to keep up the quality and service of a "Superhost"

Please Airbnb I hear from many of my guests that were appalled by the "Superhosts" they have stayed at previously. I have heard horror stories of dirty homes, inconsiderate treatment and lack of communication coming from "Superhosts" If you want to keep up your reputation you should be rewarding your top hosts who give your company a good name and try really hard to keep their status and relations with their guests. There is no reason why someone striving to be a Superhost should get any less than 90% 5-Star reviews. I've been at 97% for over 2-1/2 years and it's simply treating people with care and concern and giving them a place they can feel safe and warm. I'm sure i speak for all of the true Superhosts out there that they don't want to be put in a box with others who don't deserve the title. Please Airbnb!! True "Superhosts" are the backbone of your company I hope you will reward us with a special title that is not so easily aquired so that we can all be inspired to work harder at creating a more profitable business for all of us. Sincerely, Thank You!

16 Comments
Bernard37
Level 2

@Yoav4 all do respect it will definitely make some difference!! Hosts will have to work harder at creating a pleasant stay and those achieving 80-89% 5 star ratings won't make the cut so technically it will limit the amount of hosts achieving Superhost status. but if you are saying thats not the total answer then I agree with you! I am just trying to start a conversation on a way to make it fair for everyone but the title of Superhost shouldn't be so easily obtained. Some people just aren't cut out to be hosts and they dont realize that they aren't so "Super" sorry I just believe strongly that The title needs to be earned and only the hosts who go out of their way for their guests should be rewarded. Not everyone gets a trophy. sorry if that sounds bad I dont mean it to just sharing my thoughts. Kindly Bernard

Anonymous

I've never found the Superhost designation to be a helpful feature as a guest, and it doesn't do anything for hosts except create status anxiety. I'm sure the folks at Airbnb believe it motivates higher performance standards, but there are plenty of ways to incentivize commitment and quality without artificially creating a two-tiered class system. 

For the same reason, I'm ill at ease with the idea of adding more degrees or achievement rankings. These would have a demoralizing effect on the hosts who are great but still occupy a lower "status," And for guests, it would be confusing and in no way conducive to finding the listing best suited to their individual needs. I do think hosts who are consistent with honoring bookings, responding to inquiries, and earning positive reviews should float to the top of guests' searches, but Airbnb insists that they already do.

Bernard37
Level 2

@Anonymous sorry Andrew I have to respectfully disagree. Many of my guests have told me they either found me searching with the Superhost filter or in the end they chose me partly because of my superhost status. Hotels have star ratings for a reason..so people could have the ability to choose a level of quality and service. It's the same with Airbnb. Whatever your market is higher or lower end (housing/amenities) you still have the ability to earn a superhost badge depending on how you choose to host. The biggest reason for the Superhost badge is to incentize hosts to step up their game which is a benefit to all hosts and the reputation of Airbnb. Just my opinion. Respectfully Bernard

Yoav4
Level 10

@Bernard37

I think that increase the number of minimum trips from 10 to 15,20 or more will do a bigger impact. Having at least 10 on last year is enough as long as it's not just 10 trips in total.

Laura1221
Level 2

I agree but maybe it is also the fact you only have to have 10 (if I remember correctly) hosting experiences.  I have almost 400.  It seems that maybe there could be two levels based on experince meaning time hosting.  Maybe you need to host more before you get SH status or maybe you keep the low threshhold and add another for long term hosts with 100 or more hosting experiences.  

Just a thought

Ann10
Level 10

I had one nut who committed libel in the review. In my response, I said that I hoped she could find a cheap place near the Bull Head City Court House. She had given me a one because there is something wrong w her head. When she found out that libel is expensive, that review came down like lighting. However, I had this happen before, where I could prove to Airbnb that the person was lying and no way would they take down the review. However, as soon as this other reviewer found out there are legal consquences when you lie about someone in a public forum and they can prove it, boom, they get it taken down. I don't get why Airbnb will take it down for the crazy, lying guest, but not for the loyal "Super Host". I had another one who did something similar. I was at 100%, now I'm at 91%. However now, the odd one out will have all the power. See below. I just don't get why Airbnb is going to do this cruel thing to their loyal "Super Hosts". They are going to let the kooks run the asylum. Not right!

The system they have implemented now gives the odd one out all the power. It's draconian. \

AirBnB is supposedly changing the criteria because the "80% 5-star ratings" was hard to explain to guests.

By the way, what they meant by "80% 5-star ratings" is not the number 4.0 (which is indeed 80% of the number 5).

What AirBnB means by "80% 5-star ratings" is this: if you receive 100 ratings from guests, 80 of those ratings need to be perfect 5-star ratings. The other 20 can be anything (1-star, 2-star, 3-star, 4-star, it does not matter). As long as 80 out of 100 guest ratings was 5-star, you had 80% 5-star ratings.

It essentially meant that for every single non-5-star rating you received, you needed to have 4 more perfect 5-star ratings.

Now, when/if they switch to an average of 4.8, that is similar, but not the same.

It is the same if all of your non-5-star ratings are 4-star ratings. If you receive a single 4-star rating, you can balance it out by getting 4 more 5-star ratings.

But not all non-5-star ratings are 4-stars. This is how the math works:

If you receive:

A single 4-star rating, you need 4 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A single 3-star rating, you need 9 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A single 2-star rating, you need 14 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

A single 1-star rating, you need 19 perfect 5-star ratings to average 4.8

So it is much, much harder to overcome a single bad rating if that rating is a very low one.