Please stop forcing hosts to preapprove or decline when we receive emails instead of booking request

Please stop forcing hosts to preapprove or decline when we receive emails instead of booking request

It is very frustrating as a host that we have to preapprove or decline when someone simply emails us to ask a question. I think we should be rated on whether or not we respond in a timely manner, but if they are simply asking a question about the property, or if they can have a discount, or if there is a coffee maker in the space (all questions that have been posed to me) then I feel it is unjust to have to preapprove/decline on the spot. I worry that if I 'decline' too much my property will not show up in the listing search. Even as a guest when I decide to go somewhere, I often contact several hosts with questions and then feel bad that their space is being held for 24 hours if they pre-approve me when all I am trying to do is find out more about the space before sending a formal request. 

4 Comments
Rebecca181
Level 10

I agree with this. Other booking sites I know of have 'Accept', 'Decline', 'Pre-Approve', or 'Reply'. It is the 'Reply' feature that I think you would like to see. Me too.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Melody22 ,

You are not obliged to decline or pre-approve an inquiry, simply sending a reply is enough (and it counts for your responsrate). if communication has finished, remove the inquiry from the dasboard.

Michele4
Level 9

Exactly, you are not forced to pre-approve or decline, you just can answer their questions, ignore the rest and wait for their decision.

And since pre-approving doesn't block the dates I always pre-approve

Melody22
Level 4

Ok thank you - I see it works that way now. I know that's  the way that it used to be but then briefly they started making you preapprove or decline. Now I see it's back to the way it was. Sorry for the irrelevant question!