Please stop forcing hosts to preapprove or decline when we receive emails instead of booking request

Melody22
Level 4
Louisville, KY

Please stop forcing hosts to preapprove or decline when we receive emails instead of booking request

It is very frustrating as a host that we have to preapprove or decline when someone simply emails us to ask a question. I think we should be rated on whether or not we respond in a timely manner, but if they are simply asking a question about the property, or if they can have a discount, or if there is a coffee maker in the space (all questions that have been posed to me) then I feel it is unjust to have to preapprove/decline on the spot. I worry that if I 'decline' too much my property will not show up in the listing search. Even as a guest when I decide to go somewhere, I often contact several hosts with questions and then feel bad that their space is being held for 24 hours if they pre-approve me when all I am trying to do is find out more about the space before sending a formal request. 

4 Replies 4
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I agree with this. Other booking sites I know of have 'Accept', 'Decline', 'Pre-Approve', or 'Reply'. It is the 'Reply' feature that I think you would like to see. Me too.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melody22 ,

You are not obliged to decline or pre-approve an inquiry, simply sending a reply is enough (and it counts for your responsrate). if communication has finished, remove the inquiry from the dasboard.

Michele4
Level 9
Munich, Germany

Exactly, you are not forced to pre-approve or decline, you just can answer their questions, ignore the rest and wait for their decision.

And since pre-approving doesn't block the dates I always pre-approve

Melody22
Level 4
Louisville, KY

Ok thank you - I see it works that way now. I know that's  the way that it used to be but then briefly they started making you preapprove or decline. Now I see it's back to the way it was. Sorry for the irrelevant question!