Please stop smart pricing!

Joao72
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

Please stop smart pricing!

This tool instead of helping owners price their listings is just bringing nightly prices way down.

The suggested prices are ridisculously lower than what normal market prices are and since there are many owners that don't bother to update their prices, they just leave it on. Then they only realize that the price does't pay their trouble and expenses after many months.

Price tips are ok but this is just terrible!

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

"Smart Pricing" should NOT stop, but "Price Tips" can go to trash. It allways suggest to lower the prices, and if you do, it suggests to lower them again, etc.etc..

Antoaneta1
Level 1
Pretoria, South Africa

I agree the smart price has to be deleted.

I the winter when the heaters and air cons are in full use,  the smart price is suggested is not covering the expenses.

Antoaneta  Sofia - The cozy Toni's apartment

Celeste62
Level 2
Menifee, CA

As a new year this was the first thing that surprised me. Without actually staying at or visiting a property one could not possibly suggest a price. I too feel the pricing is way off for the amenities offered..

Noel53
Level 3
D.C., DC

I am brand new to hosting and I can already see that Smart Pricing has the effect of depressing rental prices.  I live in a desirable neighborhood and my home gets lots of compliments, but the area rental prices on the site are incredibly low.  My assumption is that AirBnB's busines model depends on volume, which means keeping rental prices attractive to guests.  While I understand that by keeping prices low--and volume high--the company is also able to keep its service charges low, it also works to the disadvantage of the host.  There must be a better compromise than this.  

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Home Away!

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Try Beyond Pricing! Also Price Labs.

Andrea1063
Level 10
Collingwood, Canada

I so agree -- its a joke and their algorithm can not compare one home to another regarding amenities, decor / design or comfort.  

I constantly get emails to reduce my prices because someone booked in my town for $7/night less.  Why on earth would I lower my price so a stay would cost me money instead of making it.  I am not a rooming house, Y or youth hostel.  IF people want to under-price themselves, that's their choice I guess, but we should be aiming for better than that.

A guest told me that she booked and left a place that was $5.00 less a night than my place and it was an inflatable bed.  I have a beautifully decorated rooms with great mattresses, pillows, linens etc.  

A lot of times its newbies that are trying to get bookings so they can make SH.  I have worked hard to get my SH status and hosted over 200 people, why on earth would I be asked to lower - why would I make that choice? 

Here, hotels and motels start at $160 and go over $300 and they want me to reduce my $65 and $85 dollar gorgeous rooms??