Pre-screening of guests prior to pre-approval

Pre-screening of guests prior to pre-approval

I am a new host on Airbnb letting whole property and guests will have keys. Already had my first enquiry from a potential guest who joined June 2017 but her only ID was an email address. She gave me two possible dates in September for a 7 night stay and asked the cost. She obviously had not looked at the calendar as the price was there to see. I said she must choose one date and get back to me and also she would need more ID. Quick reply back from her 'Great - OK' and she chose the earlier date.

4 hours later no ID and no response from her. So I emailed again saying she must get more ID from Airbnb.

Aproximately a further 4 hours later after no response I offered to help and advise her how to get the ID but still no reponse.

After a further 5 or 6 hours emailed her again saying that I would accept instead an emailed copy of her driving licence, passport or even a Council Tax bill. Still no response.

So 23 hours after the initial enquiry I declined the booking.

All through this period I am being hassled by Airbnb by text and email. 'We can see you are having a conversation with your guest - are your ready yet to pre-approve your guest?' Strange conversation if it's all one sided. It like a game of ping-pong, there's ping but no pong!

When I declined there was a drop down book to choose a reason - but the two reasons I could have picked were not there - I would have chosen

1. Guest failure to provide ID

or 2. Guest failure to reply to host queries.

From memory none of the reasons you could choose were critical of the guest and seem to imply some criticism of the host. e.g. double booked or host thinks you are unsuitable.

What is needed before anyone can make an enquiry is a simple check box system and potential guests must tick all 4 boxes:

1. I have read all the listing and think the property may be suitable for me.

2. In particular I have read all the House Rules and if my booking is accepted I agree to abide by these rules.

3. I have checked the avaiability on the host's calendar and checked the total cost of my stay.

4. I undertake to respond fairly quickly to any queries from the host and if I do change my mind about the booking to let the host know promptly so that the days reserved can quickly be offered to someone else.

Hopefully this might save us from timewasters.

2 Comments
Cormac0
Level 10

@Margaret182

I'm not so sure Airbnb is worried about Guest time wasters after all there only wasting Hosts time, on the other hand Airbnb have huge aversion to time waster when it come to their time as exemplified by the lengths they go to bury contact information with themselves.

For example

Main screen top right hand corner

Click on “Help”

Then

Click on “Visit the help center” big blue button on the end on the help menu  

On the “Help Center” screen there is a list of items “getting started”, “Account & Profile”, “Hosting”, etc

Click on the last item on the list “Contact us”

And now you arrived at your destination

Clear as mud really and so easy to find.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

Wayne9
Level 4

I think you did all the right things.  I would have just let the inquiry expire rather than decline it.  That way it looks more like the potential guest did not respond.  A host is not obligated to take every booking and once you respond the first time, you're OK from a communication standpoint.