Professional / Full Featured / Premium Kitchen

Professional / Full Featured / Premium Kitchen

We've all stayed in that airbnb that lists as having a "kitchen" but instead has a microwave, a 2 burner stove, one scratched up tiny saucepan and a half-melted spatula. That's a sorry excuse for a kitchen.

I want a feature similar to the "Business Travel" feature for "Premium Kitchen".

For example, to be considered a premium kitchen you must have:

• Four burner cooking stove
  • Microwave
  • Fridge
  • Table settings for 4 People
  • Multiple cooking knives and cutting board
  • Frying pan
  • Two+ saucepans
  • Multiple stirring/spatula/other utensels

As a guest I want this feature so I can know I don't need to bring my own pans! (I've done it!) As a host I want to attract guests for my quality kitchen.

9 Comments
Helga0
Level 10

Why would you need four burners, if you only have one pan and two pots?
I have more than a dozen pots and pans, but only two burners, which would not qualify as a kitchen in your reasoning. Nevertheless, we cooked buffets in the tiny kitchen, mostly for 25 persons, but once for 40 😉
That is easier if you can add roasts, pies and cakes, if your premium kitchen had an oven. 

It's probably hard to define, what is necessary in a fully equipped kitchen. That depends on culture and cooking techniques. 
2 flames is easier, but with a good sense of organisation, you can prepare 3 different dishes on one flame and serve all 3 together, hot. Cooking without good knives and spices is much harder in my opinion, but I know people who cook without spices and most people I know don't own sharp knives.

We used to travel with a sharp knife, bought a few on the road and at least one pan, four or five water kettles. The kettles made a few departments of the company happy, for which I travelled at the time.

Still, I would not want to have such a list of ingredients to qualify for a basic, less basic or chef's kitchen.
Guests, who don't read even the house rules, won't read such a definition first, before filtering for a place with variant a / b / c kitchen.
Better to take pictures of the kitchen in action and to describe it, to promote the kitchen as part of the luxury you offer.

Will23
Level 4

The list of items needed for a premium kitchen was intended as a suggestion, to get people thinking and discussing - as it has done. And yes, sometimes it is difficult to get guests to read the house rules. 😞

Jonathan47
Level 6

Good idea, but skip the microwave. Unnecessary stress during a holiday. We only provide it if we have guests with babies.

Amy38
Level 10

Premium or just "full" kitchen?  There is nothing fancy about mine, but it has everything you mentioned and more.  

Michelle140
Level 5

I have the opposite problem. I have considered removing the "kitchen" feature on my listing because people's expectations are too high. I have a full kitchen, but most people don't use it, so it is very "lived in" (my listing is a for a room in my home, not for the entire home), and I am not going to deep clean it between every single guest. I do a full cleaning of the guest room and bathroom. I do a light cleaning everywhere else. My house is not a hotel =P Sorry 😉

Marlene68
Level 2

I've described my new guest quarters as an apartment with full bath, "kitchenette" and private entrance for 1-2 adults. Pictures show a mid-sized fridge, microwave, water kettle, French press, dishes, counter and sink along a windowed wall. 

Classic kitchenette setup as I understand it, but inadequate for one recent guest who informed me on arrival that he needed other cooking options, a hot plate or toaster oven, so he could prepare his meals. 

I offered to let him plug in a hot plate, but I don't think he did. Just suffered through the five days he'd booked and the five more he extended, then dinged me a little in the review. 

Should I just get over it? Recast my listing? Reply to the reviewer's comments?

Appreciate your advice and experience.

Marlene

Michelle140
Level 5

@Marlene68, it's frustrating when people don't read the listing and then come with inaccurate expectations =P

Helga0
Level 10

@Marlene68, you don't need to re-invent your listing because of one guest, there will always be another guest expecting more after you added what the furst wanted to have. 

That said, personally, I'd expect at leadt one hotplate, if there is a kitchen. I would translate  kitchenette to small kitchen, where you can cook, if you are organised, not a mitchen without anything to cook but a microwave. Which I would not interpret as cooking. 

Helga0
Level 10

... sorry, @Marlene68, phone limits. 

you could either add a hot plate, which needs pots and pans too, or write in your description that there is a microwave but no stove. Write it in a picture legend too, then it's very clear.