Provide tutorial for rating hosts

Provide tutorial for rating hosts

Airbnb does a poor job, in my opinion, in educating guests on how the rating system works.  Specifically, that a guest is rating the experience not by comparing the listing to the hotel up the street, but to other airbnb listings in the area, by how accurate the listing description and photos are.  Let people know how you judge/penalize hosts: that essentially a consistent rating of 3 and lower is a failure.  I think most guests view a 3 as an OK/average, not as a failure.  And to not downgrade us due to a lack of amenity we never said we had. I've gotten low scores because I wasn't downtown, wasn't on the water, etc., yet never said that.  Educating guests as to how the rating system works and how they should be basing their ratings on would go a long way.  And stop using the "what was great...and what needs to be improve" language.  When you ask guest to find fault with something, you cannot believe the nitpicking that goes on.  I've gotten dinged because my DVD collection didn't include their favorite movie.  Or that my drinking glasses were too small.

4 Comments
Peter124
Level 10

Great suggestion! Airbnb needs to do a better job of explaining to our guests the importance of providing an accurate and relevant review. They also have to be more precise in the language they use to convey this information to our guests.

Liz-And-Steve0
Level 3

totally agree, the newer guests to airbnb i beleive think it is rated like a hotel ie: 5 star, 4 star, not that the listing gave exactly what it said it would.   It drives me crazy when i get marked down on location when my listing says, a few minutes to town by car, a 20 minute walk, 3 kms and so on .... and you get a 4.  

Fiona186
Level 2

Agree, I have had a guest choose not to look at my detailed, step by step with pictures instructions as to how to find my listing. They then got lost trying to find it and marked me down on the 'location rating, despite my listing describing very accurately where it is and how to find it- didn't seem right! 

Boris41
Level 3

My listing is a few meters from a metro station. This is mentioned in the directions. Still some guests take a tram from that metro station to the other end of my street (which is several kilometers long), then get lost, and give me a bad rating for location.
My property is in the center of a historical city, it's a 15 minute walk to the center of the center, or 3 minutes by public transport. How can anyone think it's not a good location?