Purpose of Guests Trip

Purpose of Guests Trip

This week I noticed that I am getting "boiler plate" descriptions from prospective guests on the purpose of their trip. For example "I am traveling for work". I can guess that airbnb has given them a small list to check off and the host gets to see this formulaic response. I do not like it! It takes the peronsal, human element out of the guests communication, and turns it into a blase, minimalist response. I find it much more interesting to hear for example: I am going to a musicologists conference at your local university; or we are visiting local colleges to consideration for my son; or, I have a medical resident interview at your local hospital. Airbnb you are taking the human element out of the communication. Not good. Stop trying to turn this into a cold business! Disappointed host.

5 Comments
David595
Level 3

Well, I like it, so I must respectfully disagree! You're right that Airbnb has added a questionnaire, but perhaps you don't know that you can exercise some control over what questions are asked. You can also add your own question. For me, a Superhost who shares a room in my home, it is SUPER helpful to know what time people will arrive. I'm finding that with this new feature, I don't have to ask as frequently, and it is a big time saver for me. 

I do see your point, however, in that I also very much appreciate the contact and communication. But in my own experience, it seems to actually provoke more communication, not less. Perhaps if you give it another look, you'll find that it works well for you, too. I hope so! Best wishes to you.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10

@MacClurg0:  I so agree with you - this is the wrong direction that we want Airbnb to go.  Rather than give Guests aids to reduce communication, Airbnb should be encouraging Guests to provide personalized and authentic communication.  Even when I put in our listing "Communication is important," we still struggle to get strangers to share with us the purpose of their visit, why they selected our home etc.  We allow strangers access to our second home which we don't live close to - that applies to many Hosts - we need to feel comfortable with our Guests, and Airbnb should be facilitating that, not preventing it.

Helga0
Level 10

I seem to get much more detailed messages for a while, including from new members. It seems to depend on guests nature, if they choose a statement or see it as incentive to write a long paragraph. If the effect comes from the template plus my personal questions, I do like the result.

Suzanne231
Level 1

I am really disappointed as well with the new drop down message. It’s disconcerting to rent your home to someone without any communication. I am not feeling comfortable with the change. 

MacClurg0
Level 1

I refuse to accept any one who gives minimal inforamtion with those stupid drop down options. I have requested in my text that prospective guests review that they give more than that or I message them back to request more. They always respond. What as Airbnb thinking! Depersonalizing their service.