Question: vetting potential renter

Joseph208
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Question: vetting potential renter

I have a question.

As a host, I've recieved a request from a potential guest asking about a 4-day period over the upcoming holidays, and wanting pre-approval for them to stay with me.

As New Years' Eve is during this time, I responded by asking a few questions to ascertain what their agenda was (what is expected from them; and in turn what they can expect from me). It's a quiet neighbourhood, and I wanted to ensure that a spontaneous party at my house wasn't part of their plans for New Years'.

They have not responded, and the 'expiration' of their request is only 2 hours away. I've sent another message to them asking to respond.

How do I handle this? Do I wait until the last minute to 'decline' if I haven't heard back from them? Do I ignore the time and it will 'expire' automatically? How do these options affect my ratings as a host?

Please can anyone offer me some advice?

2 Replies 2
Sandra368
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Give them the full 24 hours to respond.   You can always extend the deadline with a new " special offer "

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Joseph208:  This has happened to be a number of times.  If they don't respond within 12 or 14 hours of your response, they won't.  I wait as long as I can, but never to the last minute, in case Airbnb has their clock wrong! - And then I say, "Thanks for your interest, and we are happy to book with you once we receive the required information.  Please submit another request with the information."  Or something like that.  It's always about answering the (only) three simple questions that I ask.