Reason to decline: incorrect number of guests

Reason to decline: incorrect number of guests

Please add "incorrect number of guests" to the list of reasons a booking may be declined.

I often need to decline a request to book because the number of guests is incorrect.  I have to decline and tell the guest to resubmit their request.  When I decline there is not a good reason to select...."not available", "not suitable", "waiting for a better booking" (this is good when the requestor is asking for a discount), etc.  Alternatively, if I can change the guest count and "accept" the request, the guest could then "confirm" the change to finalize the booking.

12 Comments
Andrea9
Level 10
I agree. Right now a substantial percentage of the community postings looking for help are about this. It seems as though guests have figured out that they can circumvent the system as well as the host by bringing extra unregistered and unpaid guests without consequences. In some cases it has been reported that when approached during their stay or when hosts rightfully demands extra pay after their stay, the guest very often insinuates or downright tries to blackmail with untrue complaints and/or a bad review. A bad and untruthful review with low star rating that is then even allowed by Airbnb. Dear Airbnb, please realize that although you may earn most of your money through guests, it's the host that are the instruments in your tool box for enabling the wealth. Don't make us feel as if we're doormats when it counts.
Christine1
Level 10

By sending a special offer hosts can correct guest numbers. This may be helpful in some circumstances. Regards. Christine.

Cathy4
Level 4

I've had to decline requests because a would-be guest wants to bring more people than my maximum number accepted -we've had small orchestra (!) who were 'fine about bringing extra bedding & sleeping mats' & folk with a child (extra to our max 3 guests) who 'can sleep in the double bed with them' .....erm, no! Or requests to bring a young child even though I say clearly we don't accept them. I hate getting dinged when they are clearly in breach of the rules of the offer. Maybe an option for declining giving reason as "guests' request is outside the remit of my property' would cover this? declining that says 'guest reques

Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10

How about a decline option:  "Guest is requesting consideration for items not available in my listing".   This could include discounts, children, extra guests, off-hour check ins, special dietary or cleaning requests, cots, pick up from the airport, whatever!  

Some hosts don't want to be put in the position to negotiate with the guest asking for something "extra" or "special".    

Fiona0
Level 5

Yes, I had an inquiry this morning from a couple with an 11 month year old child.  I don't accept children under two and I don't accept more than 2 guests.  So I decline and get the insulting message from Airbnb telling me I should perhaps rewrite my listing to be clearer.

How about a message to guests instead which says 'apparently you haven't read the listing properly, perhaps you could pay a bit more attention in future?'

Kedar-Nath0
Level 2

At one time, two persons (foreigners) booked room for themselve, but to my surprise early in the morning on the date of reporting they were 4 persons- one foreigner and one indian additional and requested me to accommodate whereas I was having only double bed room available at that time. However, looking to their emergency posed before me I allowed them in the same DB room by providing extra bed at a very nominal charge for the extra persons. Despite that the foreigners who booked the room have made an adverse review against our behaviour and arrangements made. This was not good on their part, however, I have suitable replied against the remarks made by him. The main reason behind adverse remarks was that foreigner asked me to accommodate a female to be brought from Delhi on next day to which I had not agreed. We should be alert not not accommodate the persons other than for whom the room is boked. Thanks 

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Status changed to: Popular

The status of this Idea has been changed to Popular. Ideas that receive 20 or more Thumbs up from the community within the first 7 days of being published become Popular. The Popular Ideas with the most Thumbs Up are reviewed closely by the Airbnb product team. In reviewing these Ideas, the original post and comments from the community will be considered. Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful Idea that resonates with the community.

Harald6
Level 2

I just had the same problem.

Somebody wanted to stay with his wife, three kids and a baby. He had send in the request selecting 2 guests only.

I do not think they would be very comfortable to stay at my apartment, since it only has a king and a queen mattress. So I declined and the best option I could choose as a reason was other.

Andrew33
Level 2
I don't even have "other" as an option!! How come I keep reading about people selecting "other" as a reason for declining a reservation request?
Kelly149
Level 10

Yes, this just happened to my listing. "We have a party of 7 coming, but we've entered this request as 2 adults & 5 free infants because that better meets our budget, ok?"  This wasn't a Contact Host or Booking Inquiry but a Booking Request. None of the Deny options were accurate.