Refunds!

Refunds!

Let's get clear with the guest refund. It is very hazy and appears completely biased towards the guest. I have seen so many comments from hosts whose guests have stayed the whole of their reservation, said nothing, and then complained after checking out and demanded a full or partial refund and gotten it!  Apparently without the host being asked for their input.  What is that about - it says within 24 hours with documentation on the policy.

7 Comments
Diane8
Level 2

OMG....NOW that we have this community input....all the truth will come out....we need to speak up and get airbnb's attention....as i have told them....I am in this business to make money, not to give it back to airbnb....for all we know, they may not even refund the guest....they are not strict enough with the guest policies...but they sure now how to penalize the host

Ivy9
Level 2

I think it is best for hosts to constantly check with their guests if they are happy with everything, and maybe ask the guests to write down their feedback before they went off. I personally put a big black box for them to insert their feedback.

Phyllis7
Level 2

It was my understanding there is no refund once past 24 hrs before arrival once booked. I won't do it. It prevents me from renting it out as the calender is marked occupied. I am not doing this to be someones back up plan.  

Greg42
Level 1

I have flexible plus policy. If the guests show up and due to their not reading the listing get upset that they did not know I lived here, then I give a full refund and send them on their way to other lodging. I don't want an angry guest in the same house. However if a guest tries the " I found a hair in the shower, I should get a full refund" I cheerfully explain the the way to spend a free night is to get a sleeping bag and sleep in the park. Not spend the night and try to get a refund after the fact. 

Yu5
Level 2

I have learned that the 24-hour time frame that you have you can only respond via desktop not mobile and most hosts are unable to check the desktop at all times. Honestly if you were able to respond to the email with your response or evidence that would be a great start but being able to do things threw mobile app would be great.

Jeffrey4
Level 2

I just had a guest check out after 6 nights of a 13-night reservation.  He said he saw cockroaches, was freaked out, was up during the night leaving a "massacre" and then said he saw 3 bugs.  The housekeeper went in the next day and saw nothing.  No one has ever seen cockroaches in the Guest House, I have no idea how they got there.  One guest two weeks ago said he saw bugs and left a nasty review (not ever saying anything to me while he was here) and he complained about everything.  I did pay him a night's refund.  Then there was a guest with 2 dogs, stayed for 2 weeks -- she was working in a county vet center -- could she have brought them in?  Well, I had to refund this guest 7 nights, and I expect he will write a negative review.  Not fair!  So I am getting a service in on Monday to spray.  Some of these guests expect an hotel, not an Airbnb, and I wonder how to weed them out before accepting a reservation.  I'd like to ask airbnb for help.  I am thinking of only allowing weekend guests.  It seems to run more smoothly.

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived