Require ALL potential guests to AGREE to the House Rules AND AGREE to read the Details.

Require ALL potential guests to AGREE to the House Rules AND AGREE to read the Details.

Since Airbnb encourages hosts to be "detailed" in their listings; Airbnb should REQUIRE potential guests to take time to read ALL the listing's details BEFORE inquiring and/or booking. AND this should pertain to ALL bookings - not just Instant-book.

Like the website agreements we all AGREE to and like the agreements we sign and agree to in the work place - this should be a contract.  I think this would save Airbnb, guests and hosts from potential problems and much time in the long run - everybody benefits - everybody wins - and a lot of grief is avoided on all sides.

15 Comments

More than half of guests dont really read the house rules and other deatils and simply mention their contact numbers in words (since airbnb hides numerics) and ask host to call back them for rates. This is a real crap if when asked them to go through details; they get annoyed and lose interest. Ignoring such inquires lowers the response rate. This goes frustrating both ways for hosts. What would be the best solution to handle such situations??

Josipa2
Level 2

I agree, I had too many guests that did not read my description or house rules, came with different expectations, were suprised I live here as well, were suprised with the fact they have to clean their dirty dishes while using common areas such as kitchen etc. 

I would like to see Airbnb ensures that guests read and agreed with our house rules and know what to expect before arriving to my home. 

Tom-and-Lisa0
Level 10

just add this to your house rules: 

"guests affirm that they have read the entire listing and acknowledge these rules."

Mary-Ann0
Level 10

@Sharayu-And-Vandana0 and @Josipa2 and @Tom-and-Lisa0

I just yesterday answered an inquiry from an interested guest.  I answered their question, said something positive about my place and then mentioned that I would like them to confirm that they have read the entire listing and the house rules before we go further.  I never heard back but I have gotten 2 prompts from Abnb to "let them know what I have decided".   Such a big waste of time for everybody.

If guests were told they were required to read all details, rules etc. beforehand it would save everybody time right off the bat.

If you agree please give this a thumbs up or it won’t be considered.

I agree

Ryan27
Level 5

I too find that many guests don't and won't read the listing, let alone any information I send.  So they ask questions I already told them the answer to and I refer them to that, and it still doesn't work.  Huge waste of time for us as hosts.  In all of my time as a host, I have been unable to solve this problem.  A lot of people just won't read, even when asked and told why, 'to insure a smooth arrival', for example.  They just expect that for whatever they want and whenever, you'll answer and help them and they know you will because you have a review hanging over your head!  I think guests don't care because usually we are nice and won't give them a bad review and they know if they get a bad review, they can simply create a new account and start over.  

Helen56
Level 10

If they ask a question that is covered in the description, just reply and refer to the description, and copy/paste the paragraph.

Ryan27
Level 5

Hi Helen,

It's just a lot of time copying and pasting when so many guests don't read so it's extra work on me as the host.  It's really frequent.  That's what I was doing and then started simply asking them to refer to the listing and let me know if they couldn't find it.  I find that when guests start off that way, not reading, it only goes downhill in terms of more and more questions, requests for treating them extra special, just a lot of time because they won't read and it doesn't get better during their stay.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
I just noticed that when I go to booking options, a notice pops up that says if I choose Instant Book, I can ask any guest who breaks the house rules to leave immediately. Is the implication that if I don't use Instant Book Airbnb won't back me up if I need to ask a rules violating guest to leave? This is enough for me to consider leaving Airbnb.
AiR1
Level 4

I could not agree more with this suggestion! I find that guests (especially recently) just look up accommodations and book without taking the time to read the description and the house rules. This is NOT the point of aibnb! Or, I should better say *wasn't* the point! And I think I can safely say that there was a lot of effort and time put into these descriptions by us hosts. I got blank stares and questionmarks above guests' heads just because they haven't read the listing in full.

Guests should really READ and AGREE when they commit to staying at your place!!