Require Guests Have Complete Profile Before Inquiring

Require Guests Have Complete Profile Before Inquiring

I had a slew of inquiries from folks with NO profile: no ID verified, no photo, no email or linked accounts. I have Instant Book on but I require verified ID and phone, etc. When they inquire I have to pre-approve or decline. I should not have to do anything except answer them to tell them to update their profile, read the house rules, and then request booking.

What I want is to not get booking requests from incomplete unverified profiles. I won't discuss the availability of my home or anything about it with zero info. They could be casing my place to see when it is vacant so they can break in.

This is simple security measures. I hear I may be punished for declining. Please remove the ability to contact hosts without completing your profile.

15 Comments
Chad-and-Char0
Level 8

I recently hosted  a guest who had posted a picture of someone else.

There is a real security issue involved in hosting.  We need some basic ways to identify our guests when they arrive, and to know that they are legitimate requests when they inquire.

Nikki51
Level 3

I agree totally that we need to be more diligent about safety and shouldn't have to respond to inquiries with a decline or pre-approve if they don't meet our criteria. I have had a few bad Airbnbn experiences.

We unwittingly rented a room to a young woman who had a warrant out for her arrest. She was arrested during her stay and left a room full of drugs, mess, and junk to be cleaned out. It would be nice if Airbnb could partner up with the DMV or law enforcement in some way to ensure guests have valid true ID and don't have any warrants. 

I also have concerns about the properties just being posted on the site. I have 4 cottages in a row. Two are listed on airbnb and exterior photos were posted online. Those two rentals got burglarized in one night. The other two homes were not targeted. I can't say it's because they were listed on Airbnb, but I have since removed the exterior, front-of-house photos. 

On another note, even though we select that an instant book traveler must have only positive reviews, this doesn't guarantee they have all positive reviews. I am currently having an exchange with Airbnb to get to the bottom of this loophole, so I can make sense of it. I had posted a review explaining the house rules that a guest violated. I explained that she was dishonest with airbnb and got a refund despite being in violation of the house rules from the very beginning. But, apparently "Content that refers to the details of an Airbnb investigation" is not allowed in reviews.  I guess since Airbnb was asked to mediate the matter, that constitutes and investigation and my review of this guest has been removed.

So, Hosts, beware of instant book. It is better to read reviews and read between the lines. I always read between the lines because some hosts (including me) don't want to seem nitpicky and some are just are overly nice. There have been a handful of times that I didn't leave a reveiw for fear of retaliation from a shady guest. 

These are things to keep in mind.

I fully agree. I hate having to pre-approve when I have questions for the guest. I've had very good luck with new people who have never used air before, and I won't go to instant book for that very reason.

Chad-and-Char0
Level 8

I give guests a time frame to answer my questions and tell them that I only have a limited time to approve or decline and if I don't hear back within a certain time I will decline their request.  If I am forced to decline because they haven't responded to my questions I tell them that I have run out of time and if they still want to book they can send a new request.

Todd-and-Reese0
Level 10

Yes. On another thread a host suggested writing back to them with any questions or concerns and giving them a window (like 12 hours) to respond and letting them know they have to pre-approve or decline based on their reply. I'm getting more seasoned as I go. AirBnB keeps moving the goalpost. I swear I used to only get inquiries from folks with completed profiles.

Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10
Because you have Verified ID requirement turned on, all the guest can do is Inquire if they don't have a completed profile. And you do not have to accept or decline with an inquiry, only respond (so it doesn't affect your response rate). You can create a Saved Message that you can send to guests without a completed profile and respond with something like: "Thank you for the inquiry, unfortunately, until your profile is complete, we cannot accept your request for a reservation. Please complete your profile and get back to us. We'd love to answer any questions at that time." or something like that.
Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10
Because you have Verified ID requirement turned on, all the guest can do is Inquire if they don't have a completed profile. And you do not have to accept or decline with an inquiry, only respond (so it doesn't affect your response rate). You can create a Saved Message that you can send to guests without a completed profile and respond with something like: "Thank you for the inquiry, unfortunately, until your profile is complete, we cannot accept your request for a reservation. Please complete your profile and get back to us. We'd love to answer any questions at that time." or something like that. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/363/what-does-each-reservation-status-mean

I also do not agree that telephone and email is sufficient ID.  Those can change or be turned off at any time.  Also when people list pictures of their kids and dogs and scenery and not themselves.  Does this allow me to decline the request without being penalized?

Todd-and-Reese0
Level 10

I had someone in another thread explain that you can respond to them and then simply dismiss the inquiry, but this option only shows on the desktop version. I tried it and it seemed to have worked.

so effective September 25, Airbnb will now block the profile photo of potential guests until the booking is accepted.  Guests can see photos of the host, but the host does not get the same option.  This is getting ridiculous.  We are inviting/allowing strangers into our HOMES!  Is a photo too much to ask for?