Require a proper profile of guests

Require a proper profile of guests

Guests should be required to have a profile. Maybe a 50 word obligation could work.
14 Comments
Andrea9
Level 10
Besides a text profile there should be a proper portrait photo in which the guest is recognizable. So many guests either have an animal, a group picture or a landscape which does not foster the trust&safety idea at all.
Andrea9
Level 10

Christine1
Level 10

I have been hosting for years, long before facial pictures were a requirement. I have always relied on a combination of the Airbnb ID verifications and my own pre - approval conversations and I am very direct in my requests for information. A picture or image of the guest never came into the equation for the first few years as they weren't available. They foster stereotyping and & make guests and hosts vulnerable to having their image  misappropriated online. 

Leslie41
Level 2

I completely agree with a written description about the guests!!!!  It is a common occurrence for our guests to be brand new to Airbnb.  I don't need a photograph but enjoy having one. 

Anne22
Level 2

My four musts for an inquiry to be accepted :

- Picture

- Confirmed ID

- A text in the profile

-  A small message along with the inquiry (I do not use instabook)

I feel its basic to do those few things when asking to stay at someone's house. It's a nice way for me and my husband to filter guests. Maybe Airbnb shouldn't change this feature so we can still have this kind of filter 😛 

But I do agree, before being able to make a request, guests should have a minimum in their profile. Maybe Airbnb could approve pictures and filter the group/landscape/blurry ones ?

Ange2
Level 10

As long as they have uploaded a verified photo ID it makes no difference to me. Many guests do not want their information or photo plastered over the internet and I respect their right to privacy in this. I have had no problems with this approach.

John282
Level 3
Here in Portland, I get a lot of guests who just signed up for Airbnb and have blank profiles. Within the short 24-hour period to respond, I have to request this information, explaining that I ask everyone to meet minimum profile standards. They they have to do it. Then I return to the profile to check. I usually end up thanking them and accepting the reservation request. It's a lot of extra work, and being on the timer makes it more stressful than it needs to be.
Jeff70
Level 2

I agree! It's very frustrating having to ask guests to tell me more about themselves.  I don't like to book to groups of college aged kids because they tend to be the worst guests.  I'd like to know their age and profession.  A blurry photo with sunglasses with a one sentence bio is not a proper profile. 

Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Status changed to: Popular

The status of this Idea has been changed to Popular. Ideas that receive 20 or more Thumbs up from the community within the first 7 days of being published become Popular. The Popular Ideas with the most Thumbs Up are reviewed closely by the Airbnb product team. In reviewing these Ideas, the original post and comments from the community will be considered. Thank you for taking the time to submit a thoughtful Idea that resonates with the community.

Pam70
Level 2

I just went through trying to get some information out of a prospective guest who only has a photo and the Airbnb requirements - no text profile. It is stressful and uncomfortable for me to have to ask questions about them and I would like Airbnb to encourage or require guests to tell about themselves before they are able to request.