Require explanations for 1-4 star ratings

Require explanations for 1-4 star ratings

If someone rates any area less than 5 stars, require that they give an explanation as to why.

It doesn't have to be long. A 10 word minimum is probably good enough.

Without this, guests will and have left poor ratings with no explanation as to why it was poor. How can I improve my listing if they refuse to say why?

The overall review is not enough because often I have had guests leave 5 star overall reviews, but lower ratings in other categories and they don't mention it at all! I even attempt to ask them afterward and they almost never respond.

So how can I possibly make my listing better if I have no feedback to go on?

10 Comments
Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10
Today, when a guest gives a lower score they are prompted to provide feedback as to why it's not 5 stars. However. it's not mandatory.
Merlin4
Level 4

I know they are prompted to do so. It should be forced. The majority of people do not fill out things if they do not have to, so most guests are unlikely to leave feedback

Sulaiman0
Level 2

Agreed. They said there were happy and satisfied but gave ratings that undermine our businesses. It seemed that they were insincere ungrateful people. Airbnb has no idea to help the hosts - their business partners? Or simply just don't care as making money is the only thing relevant? 😞

Helga0
Level 10

You can't force them, @Merlin4. If you reply to questions on a website and then pop up more questions and text fields where you have to write a few words or more, maybe in a foreign language or maybe you are not good at writing, you give up. If they can't send the form without writing an explanation, the review rate will drop. 

Michele4
Level 9

Exactly! I've got a few 4 stars without any hint of what they didn't like. "forcing" guests to express themselves would really help to improve my service.

Cat24
Level 2

I agree they should be forced to explain. Plus, it should alert the guest that if it's not a 5, that means something is wrong. I've had two guests leave 4 star reviews despite otherwise glowing reviews and positive interactions. I know for a fact my place is amazing value with luxurious and thoughtful touches and upgrades. It is beyond frustrating and confusing to "lose points" because someone doesn't understand how the rating system works.

Mario279
Level 2

I think that 4 and 5 star are good reviews and don't require explanation.

For scores 1-3 i would disable this option without explanationa.

There should be some communication with host about some specific issue that resulted in poor scoore.

I had all scores 1 without even knowing who reviewed that, overall scores are 4 and 5 but specific review from one guests are all 1.

How do you deal with that? Nothing mentioned, everything OK but later one review is score 1 - very malicious.

AirBnb don't care and don't want to do anything for hosts

Margaret236
Level 2

I'm very frustrated in that two guests complained in their review about the smell in my house, the fact that my pets are in the kitchen, that there are piles of books around, that my house is not central and that they had problems checking in. None of this is relevant: the house does not smell especially annoying given that one of the guests smokes and you could smell that on her clothes, I contacted the booking guest as I had read on a previous that she disliked the and reminded her that I do have a dog and I would quite understand if she would rather cancel, she demanded early check in and I said not before 3pm because I had two guests staying the night before and needed to clean and change the beds, I don't allow guests to use the kitchen precisely because the animals do live in there and if I choose to have books in my private space that is hardly her concern. The house is in fact central and the guest room and shared bathroom are always clean, she objected to the fact that there is furniture in the room - what exactly do people like this mean? Plus my room is super cheap £15 each for one night...it's put me off having guests

I agree, I have people say how wonderful the place is and then give me 4 stars.

Iris89
Level 2

I agree that guests require that they give an explanation as to why they choose a lower rating.

Last summer I had guest in our town apartment, who where complaining about ammenities, although

I fill the fridge with food and drinks, towles are available so is bedding and I provide also shampoos, tooth brushes and tooth paste and many other little things not common to have, if you rent a place.

The guest gave me a lower rating although they broke the cristal plate in the fridge and have dirtied the walls in the corridor. Furthermore they complained about parking situation in August, although parking is expressivly not combined with the apartment and furthermore I made sure they got a parking space close to the apartment on their arrival.