Require names of additional guests

Require names of additional guests

We would appreciate a feature that would require the person booking a reservaiton for more than one person to provide the names of the additional guests and a "link" to their Airbnb profiles.  This is a security issue for hosts, who should know who they are welcoming into their home.  It also makes it easier for us to communicate with and welcome guests if we know all of their names.

27 Comments
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10

@Erin147:  I totally agree, Josh & Erin.  To accommodate this issue now, I request the full names and towns of all adult guests at the time of the booking.  I haven't had any problem with that.  I think this is a solution as well, because the Guests are wanting to book to they won't be inclined to give you bad info.  Good Luck!

Cindy203
Level 4

I agree 100% All bookings should require names og guests! Not only for safety but I want to know all my guests names for when they arrive I can call them all by first names.

Marzena4
Level 10

Definitely hosts should be given that possibility. That short moment of checking in a group, say of 4 people only, might not be enough to remember their names just to then properly address each of them, not to mention the security reasons.

As far as I know, there is no form for a potential booker to confirm their legal/any responsibility for the other members of the whole party (I am mostly a host, but recently I made a booking for 3 people and cannot recall any option like that), so according to the local law the guest-booker cannot be held responsible for the other guests to my knowledge.

@Lindsay0

According to airbnb policy, if more guests arrive than stated in the reservation, you may report it to airbnb as a violation of the terms of service.

Lyndsey2
Level 10

I have heard from guests that Airbnb does (or did?) ask for the names of all guests when they make a reservation. Yet this information is not shared with the host. It creates confusion because when I ask the guest for the name before I accept the booking, they sometimes tell me they have already provided it. Even just providing a first name, first initial, photo, and location would go a long way. 

Sarah59
Level 2

Agree, this is absolutely needed. HELLO, Airbnb???

Why is Airbnb taking the information of all guests if they aren't sharing it with hosts? I have a guest coming without prior reviews (recent signup on the site) and a faraway picture and no name of his girlfriend. I am concerned. 

Kate355
Level 1

I think that's a great idea - I always ask the name of the partner (my property only sleeps two), as I write a card to welcome the couple, and also put up home made bunting "Welcome Abi and Josh"... so knowing the name would be really helpful!

Allison2
Level 10

Just adding an additional motivating factor for this: Extenuating Circumstances.

If we don't know who was supposed to travel, how can Airbnb fairly decide whether the EC clause should apply? Some savvy and dishonest travelers know this loophole and it's far too easy to swap out one nameless guest with another who can produce the necessary documents.

Improving transparency with guests names would improve my misgivings about a policy that puts 100% of the financial impact of guests' misfortunes on the host.

Jeff291
Level 1

Love this idea and clicked the link to submit only this idea. 

Tina1
Level 6

I get A LOT of Airbnb Business Travelers - with someone making the reservation who is NOT styaing in my home.   I'm very frustrated with Airbnb, as they do ask their Guests to list others traveling in their party (I know I do it when I travel and reserve homes via Airbnb) - but they don't give that info TO the Airbnb Hosts.

I've complained via Superhost Support, reached out to the Airbnb VP Product Mgmt, but no response.

I had a neightbor call me that my smoke alarm was going off, but the person who made the Airbnb reservation was in Argentina and not answering her phone at 11pm (her local time) - and I had no way to reach her boss, who was staying in my home, because she didn't make the reservation.  I had to ask my neightbor to ring my doorbell, and see if anyone would answer, and then verify there wasn't a fire. OUCH!   That's not safe for me, my home, Airbnb's Guests, nor my neighbors.

Worse, say there's an earthequake (since my place is in San Francisco) - I have no way to reach these guests to verify they're ok.   That just screams potential lawsuit to me....

PLEASE address this issue Airbnb!

If it was a hotel, they'd require an ID for whomever is staying in the room, contact info + a credit card for any incidentals/additional charges.   I'd like this info too!

Laura-And-Mike0
Level 4

I typically message guests and ask them for the first names of the people who will be staying at the bungalow - as I have a welcome note with all their first names on it....Plus if it's a group of people, versus a family, I'd like to look at their profiles and make sure there are no red flags.