Rethink what is "essential"

Rethink what is "essential"

The new announcement has included a change that is going to chase off many (if not most) of vacation rentals in several markets. We rent a coastal property in South Carolina, where we've been coming for 30 years. Very, very few houses offer linens. The numbers of beds, the numbers of houses, and the rapid turn around required in peak season make it all but impossible for the cleaning crews to wash and remake. Even if we can find someone to do it, we will have to increase the rental amount by $300-400. This will scare away most renters who would prefer save the money. We tell them where there is a place to rent linens should they prefer not bring them. In 6 years of renting, I've not had one complaint about not providing linens. But if it is going to be required on Airbnb, I will have to leave the site as I suspect will thousands of other hosts. We love to provide a great, well-furnished place for a price affordable to common folk. We have way more than "the essentials" - but washing linens is a deal-breaker in this market.

(I put this here after hosting a very lively thread on the community that confirms my expectation that this is not a situation unique to me or even to coastal SC).

3 Comments
Stephanie523
Level 2

I have friends in England who do holiday rentals - this means that guests have the choices.

Linens - they can bring there own or "rent" the linens on site.

Food - they can choose "self-catering" or for a fee they are provided continental breakfast and a meat pie for dinner.

They have a great deal for electric and gas - guest pay for the utilites as they use them with coins - liike we do for dryers in a laundromat!

All units have fully equiped kitchen for cooking - they bring their supplies, Host does not supply any food products.

Maybe Airbnb should offer various  optional levels of accommodations rather then forcing all hosts to conform to one typre.

Rebecca181
Level 10

@James165 There's a discussion on 'Host' that is several pages long on this. Maybe find it (search word 'linens') and have all the people talking about this (they agree with you) thumbs up this one over here. Unless they already got a post here on Host Voice - may have, not sure. Many hosts have said on this thread that they will no longer be able to list on Airbnb, which would be a loss, in my opinion. Hopefully in Airbnb's opinion, too.

James165
Level 10

Thanks. I wasn't able to find that discussion. I'm not too hopeful, but am trying to figure out if this is something our cleaners can handle without it costing a fortune. I still believe that most of our guests are happy to bring their own linens both to save a buck and to be sure they are sleeping on clean sheets!

Jim