Review one-time throwaway option

Review one-time throwaway option

It is disheartening for an owner who has only 5 star reviews to receive a lowered review because of an unreasonable guest. Guests can become vindictive in their reviews if a host mentions a problem to them out of concern for their property. 

I would like a one time option to throw out a lower than average review. That would make owners feel that their hard work and reputation is less at risk from the whim of an unreasonable guest. 

5 Comments
Tosh1
Level 2

I agree.  I had a first-time Airbnb guest give me a 2* because it ‘wasn’t like a hotel” and I’ve been struggling ever since to get my rating back up to Superhost.  It was greatly affected because I’m fairly new to Airbnb.  

Rebecca181
Level 10

@Linda423 This is a FANTASTIC idea. We work hard for those 5 Star reviews and it is very disheartening when an unfair review is posted. Example: I have a lovely beach cottage and there is also a sun-room on the property. The guest and his girlfriend gave me a '3' on 'Accuracy' because they thought the sun-room was a 'tiny house' and that they were going to stay in 'the tiny house' and were disappointed that they were staying 'in the big cottage' - And, mind you, all my photos had clear descriptions on them, including the sun-room. Recently I received another such ridiculous review on 'Accuracy' because the guest read his key lock-box code wrong (I had even used the last four digits of his phone number - and he STILL got it wrong). We were home and let him in immediately, but he gave me 4 stars on 'Accuracy' for HIS mistake. I actually wrote him and asked about the 4 stars (when he gave me 5 stars on everything else) and once we discussed it he admitted he was in the wrong and he called Airbnb to try and get the rating changed, which I appreciated. So having this option to discard such unfairly negative reviews every so often (every 50 guests, or...?) is a splendid idea, and would help hosts feel the scales are tipped just a bit more in their favor, versus being tipped nearly always in the guest's favor these days. 

Linda423
Level 1

Everything judged is, to some point, subjective. I had a group of young women, who messaged me throughout their stay that they were loving every second and that the place was perfect. They even wrote it in my guestbook. When they left I found a 6" deep scratch on the coffee table that they had put a magazine over. I contacted her and asked for payment for a new one ($75 on sale split between 4 women) She swore they didn't do it even though the picture I sent showed the fresh wood dust next to the scratch. She paid but gave me 4 stars and a very blah review.  It was my first review that was less than 5 starts and it bothered me because if I hadn't said anything she would have given me 5.So I guess in the long run we get a little controlled by our discomfort of less than 5 stars.

Rebecca181
Level 10

@Linda423 I agree. For example, I see a fear of negative reviews controlling many hosts and their decisions about requesting damages compensation, leaving a negative review on a guest, etc. I decided some months back (I started hosting only last year) that I needed to feel comfortable in my own home, and comfortable with the guests sharing my home (it is a semi-attached Cottage I rent out in a busy beach vacation area). I decided that the only way I'd make it emotionally and mentally as a host was to make decisions based on 'How important is it?', and, if not too important, let it go. But, if important, to speak up, and not let fear dictate my actions. I admit I let many things go, but when I receive an unfair review I do contact the guest and ask them to enlighten me so I can understand their review better; usually this is enough for the guest to offer to change it, because the few times this has happened, the guest had to admit that the issue was on their end (not reading listing, house rules, etc), not mine. I offer a high quality product / experience, and I will defend it to the end, if I believe that the actions of a guest (unfair / inaccurate review, damages to property, etc) are egregious enough to address, whether directly with the guest, or with the assistance of Airbnb. I am, of course, open to suggestions, and even criticisms, and will make changes to my listing / Cottage as a result, if the comments are meaningful, and warranted. Some of my best amenities / features were suggested by guests, and I was grateful for their input at the time, especially when first starting out.

Linda423
Level 1

Rebecca, how do you contact the guest, do you email or call? In the case of the 4 star review I received, I had decided that the guest finally did compensate me so I overlooked the fact that they were somewhat messy and put it down to 4 young women having a carefree weekend. I didn't mention the damage in my review and gave them 5 stars because it seemed like the girl who actually booked the apartment hadn't had problems before. I was always somewhat surprised when I'd have a messy guest who had rave reviews from other hosts, but maybe this system makes us hesitant to be accurate in our reviews of guests. That might be another suggestion, have a host view only rating opportunity. My husband and I are very different in our thoughts on asking for compensation or giving negative reviews.  He's much more intolerant of bad guest behavior and has an "off with their heads" mentality about it.  I'm much more ready to give the benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean my way is better, but I think we'd get less bookings if we went with his way. I like your comment about being comfortable in your own house. My husband is hard of hearing and doesn't realize how loud he talks sometimes. and I am often shushing him and worried the guests will be disturbed. No one has said a word and we are usually fully booked, so I guess I need to let my husband be comfortable in his own home.