Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Replace the individual star ratings with a simple thumbs up or down, as in would you recommend/not recommend this guest/host? Eliminates all the issues with getting a 4, or 5, or only a 3. Was is good? Thumbs UP!

Very very simple and streamlined.

71 Comments
Michelle13
Level 8

I know this is an older post but does anyone use Yelp (business, mainly food rating site)? The star system there has a text scroll over option i.e. 3 stars "A-OK!", 2 stars "Meh..."

This may help guide guests on what 1-5 stars actually means versus each persons understanding of a star system. I like thumbs up/down with a review as well though! I only have an issue with value and location as a measure. If your listing acurately described the location & space then these 2 should be a given. You only need cleanliness, accuracy, communication and check-in with a review for details. 

To give credit, I think airbnb is testing some of this stuff out. I just left a review for a guest and when I selected 4 stars per category it showed me an overall 4 star rating plus my review before pushing "confirm". 

I disagree, there is not only black or white.

Your guests might like your way to host and your location, but maybe they found something that they dind't like at 100%,  maybe 80%, so they decide to give you thumbs down because there is not other way to say that something wasn't at 100%. it's unfair way to rate.

Cheers Raf

Leslie7
Level 10

For some reason the site is not letting me click the thumbs up for this post, but yes! The way the rating system is set up is ridiculous. Either educate the guests so that they understand they are penalizing hosts by taking away stars, or find a different way to evaluate.

Lannie0
Level 2

Why not go to a simple "Would you recommend this Airbnb?"

And a follow up of why or why not.

Mike127
Level 2

Totally agree.Star system sucks. We hosted a guest with good reviews... when he stayed in our property  ( we don't live there) he brought extra guests, did not want to pay for them, then became abusive to our property managers when asked for extra payment and on the phone to us. Then gave us a bad review,  because we did not initially wanted to take his booking for cash, but only through Airbnb. 

Because of this one guest our rating dropped... Get rid of stars rating....

Yasmin2
Level 7

I agree that the rating system needs adjusting.

Let's face it there are folks that are unable to appreciate what is given and so applies to their journey through life, however, this doesn't change my appreciation for myself and this is what holds me through my daily life. It's great to be aware to not take it too personally as we know that what we are offering is to our best ability,  to be open to learning as there is so much more to being a host than money yet a wonderful exchange of energy which builds our income.

We had guests who said to us that they never give 5 stars and they wanted to give us 7 stars for hospitality but they had to find something wrong so their comment was "some dust" you gotta laugh!

Lannie0
Level 2

A very difficult and critical guest told me that while I wasn't home she 'looked thru every drawer in my kitchen/dining area'. Talk about lack of boundries!! We live in one of the most preferred/coveted/countryside neighborhoods in our city. She gave 4 stars for location. Really? What Airbnb doesn't seem to get is how a couple of 4 star ratings messes up the providers metrics. Not a fan.

i would prefer Thumbs Up, Neutral and Thumbs Down

Mike127
Level 2

Yes, yes and yes. Totally agree!!!!!

Lannie0
Level 2

Agree!