Say NO to Cyberbullying. Ban repeat offenders.

Say NO to Cyberbullying. Ban repeat offenders.

We all are aware that forums are the native habitat for trolls. But we have the power to stop that.

We are all aware of it, and yet we do little to prevent it. 

I propose the ability to flag a user, topic, or post as 'bullying' within the Community Forums. (We currently can only flag a message, not the user or topic.)

I also propose that repeat offenders be dealt with real-life consequences:

1. Offenders should be warned in a private message by a moderator.
  2. Offensive posts should be removed or altered to comply with the policy
  3. If an offense continues, a user should have their Airbnb access suspended for a certain amount of time. (This includes the ability to Host or Book as a Guest)
  4. Repeat offenders would be permanently removed from Airbnb.

Offenses should include:

1. Gossip (unfounded claims that damage a person's reputation)
  2. Harrassment (rude, offensive, or insulting messages)
  3. Denigration (unfair criticism)
  4. Hate speech
  5. Vulgar speech

The last thing anyone wants is to feel unwelcome in a forum. It's up to us Hosts to be vigilant and report it!

Here's to trying to make the Forums a positive experience again!

5 Comments
Alice-and-Jeff0
Level 10
Ken here are the forum rules: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Airbnb-Community-Center-Guidelines/td-p/33 You can flag any post under the "options" link which allows for Reporting Inappropriate Content. A box will pop up as to why you are reporting and you can tell Lizzie or Quincy what's going on and they can, as the moderators and administrators, review it and take action, if necessary.
Christine512
Level 1

I think too that reviews left should be proctors since some people do so because they didn't like the space even if it was as described. People also say things they should not to other hosts with out thinking it could effect themselves.

Ken28
Level 10

@Alice-and-Jeff0... how about that. I can't believe I didn't see those before!

Maybe they should be posted somewhere like a pop-up window where hosts are forced to see it every few days...

Cormac0
Level 10
Silvia572
Level 3

I have attempted to report @Helga for harassment and bullying @Quincy (the moderator). The moderator publicly sided with the bully after she attacked me and my listing. There is no point in engaging in these forums as you'll just get bullied and the moderators will just side with the bullies. Overall, I found Airbnb to be a draining experience. And as soon I have an alternative source of money I will not hesitate to quit as a host.