Shift focus on Accuracy of Listing and Communication from Location

Shift focus on Accuracy of Listing and Communication from Location

Many hosts have voiced concerns regarding the fairness of the location rating.  It is more fair to rate a host based on the accuracy and description of their listing (i.e. communication). Guests often choose locations that are not in "hot neighborhoods" because of the price. It is disparaging to be rated on things that we cannot control, but have often priced fairly as a result of awareness of our location--such as distance to transportation, dining, or other attractions.  

My neighborhood is urban, residential, and developing, all of which are stated in the listing. Many travelers seem to want a good deal, and not the price required to pay for staying directly in one of the more popular parts of the city. That is a choice they have the right to make, however, it is not fair to make this choice, get a great value, awesome amenities, and then rate a location poorly, when they were clearly informed about distance to attractions in the city, the type of neighborhood, and the walk to nearest public transportation.  I've had people leave me a low location rating and comment that there was trash in the street as they walked to the metro....which have nothing to do with my efforts as a host! Hosts can't control the litter, particularly not on the way to the listing. Ratings should be based on constructive feedback and factors that we can control and improve upon as necessary, such as listing accuracy and descriptions. Guests who desire to be "in the heart of it all" should either pay for those conveniences, or accept that they have chosen to stay off the beaten path for a place that offers other wonderful amenities and a great value. 

The location rating can be seen as unintentionally biased towards certain neighborhoods, such as places that are heavily populated by people of color (such as is the case with many neighborhoods in Washington, DC). It would be encouraging for Airbnb to focus on areas both hosts and guests can improve, such as communication, accuracy, and equity.  A location is not something a host can choose, but a host can accurately describe their space. A guest can be expected to read and make an informed decision. As a company that is centered on inclusion, it is important to spread this to not only guests, but to your hosts. Without hosts who feel valued, included, and who feel that they can take ownership of the criteria that they will be judged on, the Airbnb platform would fail. I hope that along with many of the other wonderful enhancements that have been recently made to the Airbnb platform, some real consideration will be given to how guests should view location, how this review can be merged into areas that host can develop and better manage, and to make the review process one that is fair and unbiased for all who use this platform. 

3 Comments
Bharti1
Level 2

I agree to this totally. My listing’s rating has got messed up due to this reason as a guest gave 3 stars for location, which is c=easy to check these days using the maps

Rosie-and-Pete0
Level 2

I agree, and thank you for putting this eloquently.

Personally, Location is the only sub-category I've ever received less than 5 stars on, and it's the only category I can't control. The only thing I can do is describe it more accurately, but with 100% 5 star reviews on Accuracy and Value, I have strong evidence that I've already done all I can do.

The guest choses the location - period.

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10

@Rosie-and-Pete0:  Totally agree!  Location is the only one I've received less than 5 stars, even though I clearly state all kinds of things that might cause people to ding us.  Our house is in the mountains outside of a tiny town, and we've gotten dinged for the tiny town!  etc. etc.  This is a highly subjective criteria that should not be included.  We know what Accuracy means and we know what Value means.  But LOCATION?  It means different things to all people.  Not fair to Hosts to keep this very subjective criteria as part of the quantifier of our success.