Simple solution for hosts who use IB and those who do not use it to have the same starting position

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

Simple solution for hosts who use IB and those who do not use it to have the same starting position

Some hosts finds IB good and convenient and some hosts feels uncofortable to use IB.

I had read many of the same discussion as Airbnb favors IB, and those who do not use it are lower ranked in searches. And it is not fair for those who do not feel comfortable useing IB.

So Airbnb should make two new check box when guest open Airbnb site:

1)    Listings you can book without waiting for host approval to stay at their place

2)   Listings you can book after host approve your stay atheir place

Hosts who dont feel confortable useing IB wont be mixed up with hosts who do use it and be pushed down in favor of IB users because they would have their own check box and they will have same starting position.

13 Replies 13
Marc--Les-and-Toni0
Level 2
Edmonton, Canada

The default button should start out off and just keep with the pop up that now tells the user when their button is off that they can refine their choices by turning on the instant booking button. I also feel very cheated by airBNB for denying me traffic from people who may not even realize they are getting filtered results. What is that all about AirBNB? Is our money no good to you? We can't get bookings if you will not even show our listings to potential clients!

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

Giancarlo21
Level 2
Tokyo, Japan

I agree totally. This is not fair.

Elizabeth16
Level 2
Takoma Park, MD

I assume the concern is to prevent discrimination. That's good, but perhaps this is not the way. Maybe the Airbnb team could look at metadata from diversity in the requests vs host's booking acceptance and also complaints.

I have 4 rooms in my home and visitors stay 1-5 months, not weekends.  It makes more sense for us to get to know each other a bit beforehand. In conversations with guests after they arrive, they say they feel more comfortable getting to know me and the property beforehand and feel more secure that I'm paying attention to the balance.

It's also important for me to find out where the guest will be spending a lot of their time in DC (work/internship) so I can make sure they know what the public transportation commute will be like and what it will cost on a daily basis so they can make a sound financial decision.

If it's not discrimination concerns and it's more profit concerns (more like a hotel booking than a homestay) then this is wrong. It's now discrimination against the hosts who've helped maintain the brand for years.  

I've been a host for 3 years and have superhost status and I live with my guests for 1-5 months.  That's a whole other level of service than telling someone how to use the doorlock,  the house rules and where the toilet paper supply is. I am getting more from referrals from former long stay guests than from people who find me through the platform. They usually contact me via email and then I refer them to the platform to my rooms.  

We who live with our guests for long periods of time maintain the brand with consistent quality on a whole other level. We deserve better visibility. 

Debbie14
Level 2
Haleiwa, HI

I agree! I like to establish some rapport with clients as their time to visit nears. That is service, in answering their questions and making suggestions ahead of time. As well, I am here to greet guests and show them around and how to go over to the beach etc. With IB I may be an hour away and someone wants to show up at my door. I had it before and was over at the beach watching the sunset and didn't have my phone and someone was furiously texting me saying "We're here! How do we get in?" It flat out didn't work for me. It tied me up too much . Air bnb is making a mistake and if we don't get listed then we have to look at other options. I sure don't like the feeling of being forced to accept it.

Nanette8
Level 2
Dunblane, United Kingdom

Totally agree with all comment here! This is a very bad move by Airbnb, please address these concerns.

Nanette

Michelle301
Level 2
Newburyport, MA

When did this change take place?

Nadine61
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

Totally agree.  This is unfair.  One of my new listings doesn't show up at all, not even on the map!!!  

I'm a business woman and travelling a lot, so I cannot use instant booking because everything depends on my schedule, if I'm not there that day or at check-in, I want to be sure my friends or maid can make it, and so much easier to get to know each other a bit before hand.  Especially when you have to live with them!!!

And I want to be sure they agree and are comfortable with my house rules....   AirBnB should really change that politic, and just put a star or different color for instant booking, so the guest can see all the choices and decide which one they prefer!!!!

Now I cannot rent my new place at all because it is not even there!!!

Thanks

Vicki60
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

Completely in agreement.  I'm am very against discrimination but I really don't think this is an appropriate or effective method of dealing with it.  It's a blanket policy that creates a unfair tiered system as a result.  

Gretchen4
Level 2
Hyattsville, MD

I have never wanted to use 'intant book'. As a single woman in a residential neighborhood with young families, I need to be able to screen my guests to some extent. I live in a small city near Wahington DC and University of Maryland so some guests to my area are night owl/partiers. I have nothing against them personally, but they are not a good fit for my home and block. I have also declined guests who could not provide a basic reason for their travel, as I don't feel safe with people who can't be a little truthful/transparent. My family hosted exchange students for much of my childhood so I am comfortable with all faiths, backgrounds, national origins, sexual orientation/gender identity, etc. As a female, I am not always comfortable with all male guests. I don't want to have anyone accuse me of discrimination when I am merely looking out for my safety. I support the proposal in this thread to make hosting fair to people who cannot or do not wish to use Instant Book.

Elizabeth16
Level 2
Takoma Park, MD

My situation is the same as many above.  

Single woman, long stay guests, referrals off the system and then book through Airbnb, safety of myself as well as with other guests who are also here, etc.

Those of us who have been on the platform for years helped make Airbnb the brand it is today.  We deserve respect for our choice not to use IB.

My guests repeatedly tell me that they appreciate the fact that it is not a revolving door here and that they feel safer because I don't use instant book.

Romona0
Level 2
Port Angeles, WA

On IB if you block the day before and the day after the check-out you won't have ever this problem. Of so easy showing up and you not being aware. Hope that helps... a host

Diana133
Level 3
Eastbourne, GB

Instant book being the default setting is totally unfair. Airbnb should not continue with this.