Star ratings not matching written comments

Charlotte40
Level 5
Egmont Village, New Zealand

Star ratings not matching written comments

I'm often frustrated by the fact that the written review given by guests does not seem to match the star ratings that they give

eg I got this review which I was thrilled with until I saw that they'd only given me 4 stars overall ....  "We found Post Office Cottage to be well presented, clean, full of character, with everything we required for our 2 week stay, including good wi-fi connection. It is well located, being a 10 minute drive into town but also close to scenic walking tracks, parks and historic attractions in the area. Charlotte is a wonderful, welcoming host. From beginning to end, our questions were answered promptly. The level of interaction was perfect - available if needed but your privacy was also respected. There were nice gestures offered, like the bowl filled with chocolate eggs upon our arrival and the loaf of bread, bacon and eggs for breakfast the next morning. And we appreciated the big bowl of fresh tomatoes and courgettes straight from the vegie patch. Thank you Charlotte for your warm hospitality, we would book again" 

I feel that there are some people that will jsut not give a 5 start no matter how good their experience was, and I'm not sure what the solution is - maybe giving guests an indication of what key points they should consider when rating their stay.  I'd love to know what others think about this.

7 Replies 7
John-and-Sylvia0
Level 2
North Bergen, NJ

I get some reviews that don't match the star rating. Some have sent me a comment that is not seen on the review. I find that some people are determined to find something wrong but will not say it publicly.  I suggest that you reach out to those four star guests and get some private feedback. Sometimes it's something as simple as a hair they saw in the sink.

Liz-And-Steve0
Level 3
Napier, New Zealand

yes this sticks a bit - some people just won't rate 5*'s.   I personally think if what I "got" was accurate to the description then it meets everything it said it would this would mean 5 *'s.  Some people think 5 *'s are 5 star hotels.  A guide to the traveller around this would be helpful i think.

Happens all the time to me. I just received 5 stars for everything except location even though the guest said in the review it was a 'Perfect location". What is better than Perfect?
Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

Henry47
Level 2
Knysna, South Africa

I have just received the following review from a Guest: Great location on the marina, a great room. A great host who gave us great tips for our stay. Gladly again and again. The private feedback the Guest wrote: Thank You, Henry. You were a great host. We enjoyed every minute of our stay. Thank's for many helpful advises. Yet I was only given two stars. Any suggestions what to do in this case?
Charlotte40
Level 5
Egmont Village, New Zealand

Henry - the only advice I can give you is to message the guests and just say something like "Hi - I really appreciated the feedback that you gave, it sounds like you enjoyed your stay.  Given you comments, I was a little surprised that you only rated your star as 2 stars.  Perhaps there is something that I could do to improve?  Please let me know what you think I could do better"

Hopefully they'll tell you something useful!

Henry47
Level 2
Knysna, South Africa

Thank you for the advice Charlotte. I have done as you suggested. Let's see if I get a reply