Strict cancellation policy is too strict, but moderate is too lenient

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Strict cancellation policy is too strict, but moderate is too lenient

I don't feel like making my guest lose 50% if they cancel months ahead of time. So I use a moderate cancellation policy, but this provides a full refund up until 5 days before their stay, making it unlikely to get an alternative booking on short notice.

Any chance to make the Moderate option something like 2-3 weeks?   (Or, adding another cancellation policy level)

12 Replies 12
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

I agree. The gap between Moderate and Strict is far too wide. Adding a policy in between would help. Something like full refund up until 2 weeks in advance, then a 50% (or even 75%) refund until 1 week in advance.

I'd also like to have the ability to apply different policies to specific dates. For instance, we have a lot of high-attendance festivals and events in Austin (SXSW, ACL Fest, Formula-1). We charge premium rates during such events, and they often book up 6-12 months in advance. At the same time, most attendees search for bookings that far in advance; few wait untiul te last minute. So, when I have a last-minute cancellation (say, 6 days ahead, under the Moderate policy), it can be next to impossible to refill the dates at the premium rates. Costs me a lot of money!

Cathryn1
Level 4
Wollongong, Australia

I agree with you @Jiw0.  I don't like the the fact that with moderate they can cancel so close to the date of arrival and strict is 50%.  

I had exactly that last year when a month booking canceled over December (summer time here)  a week out making it quite difficult to fill at short notice.  We did end up getting guests but it was more difficult.

We now have strict cancellation policy.  I had a guest cancel for personel reasons so I suggested that I give her a discount when she booked in the future.  Mind you she has not enquired since then.  It would be a pity to loose future guests because of a rigid policy.  

It would be helpful if the conditions were more discretionary. The host is advised of the impending cancellation and then can then advise Airbnb of the percentage amount to be refunded.

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

I agree with @Dede0 regarding being able to use the "strict" policy for specific dates.  It would also be great to be able to vary the minimum stay for specific dates.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I have a strict cancellation policy which did result in only one potential guest deciding not to book.  I stay with the strict cancellation but can modify with either a refund or credit as the situation might be appropriate.  Like other hosts, the event based booking can happen a year in advance.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Stephanie6 It's already possible to specify minimum stays other that your default, for any date range. While viewing your calendar, click on Availabilty Settings. Scroll down to the Min settings. Just below, you'll see something like Add a Requirement or Add Another Requirement. Click that. In the pop-up window, click on the field for "During" and select Specific Dates. Easy from there.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Not to argue, @Linda108, but one can never really know how many potential bookers simply decide not to book or even make an inquiry if they notice that a listing uses the Strict policy. For example, I use AirBnB when I travel and I never even consider a place that has the Strict policy. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

You probably have a valid point but I have had only one cancellation and I refunded the new Air BNB user as it did not impact me negatively.  I am mostly concerned with really advance reservations and so far the system only allows a single policy for all dates.

Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Thanks @Dede0!

Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Neu in der Community? Stell dich hier vor. Siehe auch Community Hilfe! Richtlinien & Infos findest du in Neuigkeiten.

Susan270
Level 1
South Africa

I am really struggling to work without being able to contact anyone at AirBNB itself.

Does anyone know how I activate the 'super strict' cancellation policy? Its seems that my options end at 'stict'

Many thanks

Sue

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Totally true - the difference between strict and moderate seems like a mistake like they accidentally left off a setting between the two. I'd like to be able to say 100% if cancelled 3 months or more in advance by mutual agreement and not have Airbnb keep service fees.

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

@Jiw0

Totally agree. I posted a very similar idea last year re more options and flexibility for cancellations. Some people also suggest the option to have different policies for different times of year, also makes a lot of sense. My post currently has 34 upvotes, so please add yours, and maybe Airbnb will start to take some notice!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/More-cancellation-options-re-new-100-refund-policy/id...