Superhost Status should not depend on 80% reviews

Emily12
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Superhost Status should not depend on 80% reviews

To achieve Superhost Status you should be judged on your AVERAGE rating, and your category ratings should be considered. 'Overall experience' is an ambiguous question (I've had guests rate low because it was raining, for example), and most people feel 4/5 stars is a good rating. To restrict Superhost status to 5 star ratings alone, which are not the sole (or a reliable) indicator of a quality host, makes no sense. 

10 Replies 10

Ha! "I've had guests rate low because it was raining". Me too!
Hanna13
Level 2
Port Jefferson, NY

I am currently a super host, and generally get five star ratings.   I recently had one crotchety older couple, who rifled through all my cabinets and toiletries, and then gave me a one star review, and wrote me some scathing comments.  I was shocked and appalled!   It took me quite some effort to get back above 80 percent.   One bad review shouldn't have such a negative effect, and hosts should be allowed to drop one bad review a year.    There's always going to be one strange experience

Naomi8
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Overall experience is very ambiguous and so is communication. Many of my guests think it means the quality of mobile phone reception.

Deb20
Level 1
Burlington, VT

So this is what I'm confused about:

• Received a 5-star review at least 80% of the time you’ve been reviewed, as long as at least half of the guests who stayed with you left a review

Does this mean a Superhost must get a 5-star review for just the "overall experience" or a 5-star review in ALL of the rating categories?

And I agree, drop one bad review per year!

thx

Connie31
Level 2
Wakarusa, KS

I'm new at this Airbnb and was very excited about doing this. After some very positive 9 reviews- all 5 star, I got the "nightmare family" with 3 unsupervised rowdy kids, Mom left a terrible review filled with lies and crazy commentary. I was ready to give it all up, because there is no use in replying to the lies and the fact that they did not follow the house rules.  I am just glad they left and didn't do more damage. I am more careful about allowing a large family group. Does anyone use a "hold-harmless" clause in their house rules?

thanks, connie

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Pamela6
Level 2
Cooper City, FL

I agree with you, Emily. I just lost my SH status because of that same standard.  Although I'm not sure why because I only had one guest during the last quarter and it was a return visit from a family who loved my house. My overall is over 80% so it's all very confusing. 

It's unfair to penalize hosts for things they cannot control. For example, one time I had a guest who was very surprised to find out I lived in the house. She was used to renting empty time-shares and obviously wasn't familiar with the home-sharing concept. She obviously didn't think I was deserving of 5-stars for accuracy. Doesn't make sense!

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Pamela, the reason you lost your Superhost status was probably because they evaluate over the last 12 months, not for just the past quarter. Also, be advised that the stats you see on your stats page are NOT the stats that are being tracked for Superhost status. Those stats are for all of your stays since you've begun hosting. It does not tell you what your percentage is over the past 12 months.

Gordon44
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Stupidity is what I would describe of Airbnb reports and advice.Super host status stresses hosts to provide a 5 star hotel facility for the cost of a 1 star commercial hotel. I thought the idea of Airbnb is to provide affordable accomodation not to rip of hosts to spend money and actually run at a loss. I am getting a little annoyed with this seeing ' you are not satisfying super host status' you need to rectify  and satisfy guests needs. My patience is being tested. I am hosting because I enjoy meeting people. I make in one hour what I I charge for my accomodation. So I

say to myself I am going to ignore ratings. 

Gordon44
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

For 65 dollars a night You will never get coffee, tea, milk, a fridge, microwave, free wifi, tv, shampoo, soap,toilet paper, separate shower, toilet, heater, fan, large room, queen size bed, clean, linen, towels in any commercial hotel setting. Cleaning and washing takes about 2 to 3 hours. I can make this in an hour in my present job. So I refuse to provide a means for Airbnb to make money at my expense. Are we being taken for a ride when we get messages warning our listing will be suspended if we don't improve satisfying guests needs.Feeling annoyed.