Superhost improvement

Dianne41
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

Superhost improvement

The Superhost system is not entirely credible. This time, because my listing has been successful, I am about to lose my Superhost status.

For the current 12 month period about to be reviewed, at the time of writing, I have been booked for all but 3 nights!  
I am booked in advance for all bar the last 16 days of the 12 month period - we'll have to wait and see what happens duirng those 16 days.

During the current Superhost review period, I have had a 4 month booking, a 3 month booking, and a couple 1+ month bookings.

Having been booked with long stays and few vacant nights sounds great and I'm very happy with my clients, as are they with me. I have exceeded all AirBnB Superhost requirements... except for the number of bookings. AirBnB want 10 bookings. I've had 7.    And AirBnB haven't included the first 24 days of the 12 month period because that booking began before current the 12 month period began.

So, if you want to have a succesful listing with long staying clients and few vacant nights, be prepared to lose your Superhost status.

AirBnB - how about taking into account longer stays or few nights vacant when calculating Superhost status?

8 Replies 8
Loretta2
Level 8
Byron Bay, Australia

I agree- we have a 10 day minimum stay, and most are about a month. Often our apartment is unavailable because I use it when I'm working in  the city- so, although we have sometimes had 10 stays in a year, not always. The 'one size fits all' formula doesn't really work.

Anthony152
Level 2
New York, NY

Needed super host 

Barbara68
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Dianne, I absolutely agree with you. The majority of my guests end up extending (if they're in town for longer), so that can often wreak havoc on Super Host standing. It doesn't seem fair, does it?
Wyatt
Host Voice Admin
Host Voice Admin
SF, CA

Elizabeth342
Level 2
Silver Spring, MD

I agree!!  I just realized that my long term bookings have hurt my status. I didn't realize that they required 10 bookings per 12 month period.  How can we petition to change this policy?  Does anyone know who to contact? I don't think it's fair to be penalized for taking long term bookings.  

Louis97
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

I was a Superhost for quite some time until i accepted a 1 month booking. For some genius reason you loose superhost for accepting long term bookings. Airbnb helps you sell guests longer bookings by offering a discount however knocks your superhost status for accepting it. Hoping that Airbnb will summon thier army of robots and some day to fix this. 

Cheers

Loretta2
Level 8
Byron Bay, Australia

Not quite true. I have been with etsy about 5 years, superhost on and off. I have a 10 day mimimum booking and most of our bookings are aboutn 1 month- which makes it hard to achieve the 10 'successful' bookings within a 12 month period sometimes, which you need to be considered a 'superhost'. That is probably why you lost the 'superhost' status. But, it doesn't really make any difference. At the moment, what makes a difference is whether or not you do 'instant Book"- I went from having constant enquiries and bookings to close to zero, because I am unable / unwilling to do this. airbnb's 'anti-discrimination' strategy is discriminating against those who want to communicate with potential guests before accepting a booking.

Mathieu49
Level 2
Thailand

I also do monthly rentals as per the law in Thailand that everybody for some reasons seems to ignore in offering daily rentals and indeed it is harder to keep the status but faisable for my case. I have been superhost for 2 years and over the last 12 months I have had 11 guests (just above), 1 cancelled, 3 left me 5 stars review, 1 left me bad review, 1 missed the deadline but sent me a lovely message and 5 didn't bother reviewing. My 5 stars rating dropped to 66% and for some reason my review rate is stuck at 100%. I understand I am likely to loose the status in the coming assesment but I see no reasons not getting it back soon. Hopefully my review rate will increase in the next 3 months but in doing monthly I don't have much protection against non reviewers and the bad and legendary grumpy guest. I would recommand implementing a grace period, in that you are allowed to fail once in each 12 months. . Seems unfair and random otherwise and only down to luck to be able to keep it.