Unhappy With Professional Photography Service in Airbnb

Unhappy With Professional Photography Service in Airbnb

I was really looking forward to having my listing professionally photographed by Airbnb, however, after seeing the results I was deeply disappointed with the outcome. 

I removed all of the professionally taken photographs from my listing as I think they present my listing in a bad light:  the listing looked sterile and uninviting. 

I had no control over which pictures would be selected and yet I am expected to pay for this service. I was not allowed to select the pictures that were taken whilst they were being taken, I also advised the photographer about items I didn't want in the pictures. He assured me those items would not be there. And yet, when the pictures were uploaded those items were present. 

I would not recommend this service to any other Airbnb host as hosts have no say in the process and yet are expected to pay for it. 

The photographer had the attitude that he was working for Airbnb and not for me. There is an old expression that "he who pays the piper calls the tune", however in this case I had paid the piper and I have no say in the music. 

I would like to offer the following suggestions to improve this service:

1. Hosts should be allowed to see previous work of the photographer so they can select the photographer who best suits their style 
2. Give hosts more control over the process
3. Only charge hosts once they're happy with the photographs
4. Allow hosts to select the pictures whilst the photographer is actually taking the photographs

I contacted Airbnb about this on November 11, 2017, and now, nearly 2 weeks later I still haven't received a decision regarding a refund. 

11 Comments

@Silvia572 you are right.

As far as I know (and I worked as photographer and free lance web designer for years) if someone pay for a photo shutting (or web design) then he has bought a right to use it as he want.

The author of those photos/design will keep the right to use it for his promotion only and the right to be recognized/signed as the author. 

If I am not wrong - photograpers were payed by Airbnb before and your use of those photographes was limited to Airbnb. But now when the host is paying , things are different. 

The best is to chose and hire a pro photographer by yourself.

Cormac0
Level 10

@Silvia

I stopped an Airbnb photographer in his tracks, when I said I need to know how much his services are going to cost and not to come until I got this information, I'm still waiting, that's at least two weeks ago.

Airbnb would simple charge whatever they liked and deducted it from my booking fees, The OWNER of the property has zero editorial control as Silvia pointed out.

It amazes me the number of people out there that still think their running their own business on Airbnb despite all the evidence to the contrary.

I've hired professional photographers in the past, I was told the following,

1. How long the shoot would last and the cost.
  2. How much each photograph would cost.
  3. I was obviously allowed to pick the photos I wanted to use.
  4. And finally, I was given a V.A.T invoice itemised list of what I was paying for.

I don't what to hear from the 20% that think Airbnb is the best thing since sliced bread, they should be in the V.I.P lounge enjoying their bountiful harvest, I would like to hear from other Host that are struggling under Airbnb yoke and how we can improve the very expensive service we're getting.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Lawrene0
Level 10

I agree with all of you that this is the worst way to run a photography service. Like @Branka-and-Silvia0, I have worked as a photographer, and what @Silvia572 and @Cormac0 have outlined is disreputable. Fortunately it is not (yet?) mandatory to use this predatory service, and we are all free to take our own photos, or, better yet, to pay a trustworthy local professional who will cross-promote. 

Silvia572
Level 3

@Anonymous:  I have chosen to delete the pictures as this strengthens my case for a refund. If I left the pictures there, Airbnb could legitimately say I was still using them. 

@Anonymous, @Branka-and-Silvia0, @Lawrene0, @Cormac0:  The reason I went with the Airbnb photographer is that I believed that this would be a form of verification of my listing and that it would add credibility to my listing. I hoped that having someone from Airbnb visit my listing would also increase my ranking on the search engine.  However, as none of these has happened, I foresee no positives to this service. 

I hoped that by placing my comments here, Airbnb would contact me back. They have just fobbed me off on the calls I have made to them, The e-mails I have sent, no one has bothered to reply to. 

Cormac0
Level 10

@Silvia

@Lawrene0

@Branka-and-Silvia0

@Andrew

Update:

Now Airbnb is telling me there is no Photographers available in my area, so basically if you inquire as to how much you must pay then nobody is available,

In Krakow Poland there is a very strong expat. community I reckon that within five minutes of requesting recommendation I will be inundated with photographers.

We really are being treated with contempt...

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Lawrene0
Level 10

That's interesting, @Cormac0. Surely the photography service is on its way out. Who is going to put up with it?

Cormac0
Level 10

@Lawrene0

There so much canon fodder on Airbnb I think they'll get away with it indefinetly!

Regards

Cormac

Lawrene0
Level 10

Cannon fodder is a good way to put it. @Cormac0. Ultimately, I hope it does end, and not just for hosts' sakes. I'm wondering whether it is any sort of good gig for those official photographers. It would be interesting to hear their story. 

Martin472
Level 1

@Lawrene0 

Airbnb employ Photographers, who agree to shoot to their strict style guide, which is an extremely detailed document and updated when neccersary.

This is to ensure everyone recieves the same product and brand continuity. 

If the customer does not like the product, they can raise a concern with Airbnb and discuss it with them. 

The short answer is yes, it is a good gig. 

It has had it's ups and downs lately, and the transition to a paid service was messy. But ultimately it remains efficient and I have not recieved any complaints with the images of literally hundreds of properties i've shot over the past eight years. 

Lawrene0
Level 10

Really happy to hear that, @Martin472. It did sound like the trouble was with the middleman, but I always love a story where photographers are paid fairly and treated well. You Airbnb photographers do take some amazing shots!