Utilities/electricity bill

Utilities/electricity bill

There should be a way to get a "deposit" or some kind of insurance for insane and abusive use of utilities.  My price is 28dls a night and the last couple who came and rented, would lock their dogs in the house all day with the A/C on at it's highest (because they were Canadian dogs not used to Caribean temperature).  The bill per day was more then 15 dls,

However if I add this charge for everyone, abusers and reasonable users, my rate goes up too much.

8 Comments
Lisa226
Level 2

This happened to me as well.  I had a group here for 9months.  In San Diego it is hot during the day and cool at night.  These people would open the windows during the day, but then not shut them before turning the heat on at night.  My gas bill was astronomical every month!  I even inquired as to what they might be doing and they insisted they were closing the windows. However, when I arrived the day they were moving out the windows were open and the heat was blasting.  So inconsiderate!

Azul0
Level 2
Mine stayed three months. When I realized I begged them to be more careful. They were on their last week and the bill went up 5 times. Just in that week. That was plainly vindictive. Bnb had not protection for these cases
Anastasia5
Level 3

I guess I meet that guys as well (:

But they stay in the room, and my A\C controlled from main hallway in the  house, where they can't reach, so my bill just get doubled.... All they do is told me keep A\C at 73 (which I did but when they leave windows open in the room it doesn't turn on main A\C because control panel - and sensor - not in the room) so they  leave on fan and swamp cooler and TV and all light  in the room on all the time - and open windows and door in the room to summer 105 degree heat! - and leave to me review with low rating saying "Install A\C control  in the room!"

What I can say?   Some folks believe all included, no matter what they want to do!

Azul0
Level 2
Yes! there will be crazy abusers everywhere, the thing is BnB offers no protection for the unsuspecting host
Phyllis2
Level 4

Post your house rules promenantly in the suite and go over it with them at check in.  If you see windows open when the aren't home with the air on etc.  Explain that you will be either expecting them to leave for nor conforming to your house rules or that they can pay you up front in cash a good amount to cover the extra utilities.  Impress on them that you will be checking and tell them that you know they won't be doing it but since you have had problems in the past that you have to take a hard line and are very sorry for it.

Justin47
Level 3

I agree with Phyllis and I highly recommend the Ecobee 3 smart thermostat to save on utilities.  You can easily adjust the thermostat by the app or on any computer.  Better yet, you can place remote sensors in each room that will track the temperature as well as the occupancy in each room.  If the sensors detect no movement for a couple of hours, it goes into "away" mode which will raise or lower the thermostat depending on the season to save money.  When the guests return, the sensor will detect the movement and return to the normal setting.  I got one of these and its incredible.. as soon as the guests leave, I can adjust the temperature immediately.  I saved over 100 bucks compared to the same hot July last year.

Azul0
Level 2
Thank You!!! Super tip
Dimitri0
Former Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived