VoIP support

VoIP support

Currently VoIP numbers such as Skype numbers can not be added to an Airbnb account, but there are a number of crucial benefits to using an VoIP number instead of a personal cell or home number:

1. Dedicated number: as soon as it rings you know it's Airbnb related.

2. Privacy and safety: your personal number is kept safe and not subjected to abuse.

3. Guest have to use Airbnb for text: most VoIP are landline number that don't support texting, so guests are forced to use the Airbnb app, which actually makes life easier for everyone.

4. Answer from anywhere in the world, on any device: as long as you have an internet connection, you can answer calls from anywhere without expensive roaming charges. Super useful when travelling on local SIMs or working on the laptop at an airport for example.

5. Better smartphone supports are here: both iOS and Android can now treat VoIP calls as normal calls, making them easier to use. 

We have already switch to using a Skype number, and even though we can't bake it into our account we just message it out to confirmed guests, as well as printing them out and leave them in the rooms. It's worked out great so far. Ultimately, Airbnb should also consider building VoIP functionality directly into their smartphone APPs. 

5 Comments
Momi0
Level 10

@Wei-and-Ting0   I totally understand what you are trying to say but do you realize that its absolutely not a good idea to be communicating with any guests away from the airbnb website message area!?  And Airbnb will not support any texts written between hosts and guests if it is being written somewhere if a complaint should come through?   Any and ALL communication should continued on the ABB website and it even says so on the ABB site that all communication needs to stay on the site. 

For example, if one of your guests calls that number you are sending out and during a phone call, they ask you if they can stay later past check out time, and you say no, but they heard yes, they can argue against you with ABB thats what they HEARD.  Nothing can be disputed or argued if its written on the ABB message site between your account and your guests.  

I am VERY CLEAR with each and every one of my guests that they should download the ABB mobile site in order to communicate with me prior to their stay, during their stay as well as after they check out.  They are of course welcome to use the website but the mobile app is so much easier and each guests agrees.  I also make it very clear if they do send a text to my phone, I automatically screen capture it and upload it onto my ABB account sending it to them so that everything is seen by Airbnb, with a warning that they need to go back and communicate with me via that avenue only.  If the guests call me, and some do, I immediatley tell them that I will be documenting the entire conversation onto the message board and they are welcome to add to it if they find anything missing.  However, I have not had one guest who added anything because I am 100% thorough in what is written.  

I don't want any guests being able to say that I said this, or said that, or they heard this, and that I agreed to something and its not written in the instant messaging area of ABB account.  When a guest texts me to my phone, I send them ONE message and that's it -  "I am acknowledging that you wrote me, but I am reminding you that you will need to rewrite that message onto your ABB account and send it to me there in order for it to be recognized as a valid message.  This is done to protect you as the guests and me as the hosts."   They all write back saying they understand.  

In my House Manual, there is another reminder about communication as well. And that to call my phone should only be for emergencies only. Unless I give them permission to call me to ask questions.  And I have done that a few times, but its always documented.

In 26 months, I have never had a guests dispute anything that was said, agreed, or discussed as I keep ALL communication on the ABB message site between guest and hosts - hope this helps you.   By the way, Airbnb has thanked me numerous times for keeping all communication on the message site especially when a guests had asked to add another night to their stay. 

Keep in mind, on the booking page, for EVERY listing, it says to keep all communication on the ABB site.  There is a very good reason why.  

Many hosts have reached out to me for help because of a bad situation with their guests only to find out they were communicating with the guests via What's App, Texting via smartphones, Skype, and various other apps.  This ended up causing a lot of problems for them because Airbnb will not accept outside communication as proof of what was said and agreed between both parties.  

And those who say its easier to communicate outside of ABB are just opening themselves up to many future issues.   Never a good idea.

Hope this helped you.  But believe you me, I agree that our phone numbers should be protected, (like UBER and LYFT does for drivers and riders).

SIDE NOTE:  I got a phone number from Verizon just for Airbnb guests which keeps MY REAL PRIVATE CELL PHONE NUMBER private.  Well worth every dime and it only cost me $10 per month.   🙂

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Please refer to point 3: 3. Guest have to use Airbnb for text: most VoIP are landline number that don't support texting, so guests are forced to use the Airbnb app, which actually makes life easier for everyone.
Patrick426
Level 2

@Momi0 Don't tell me how I should host.

I have a VOIP phone that does support SMS, MMS, and voice.  I also have it set up to ring my entire staff should I not pick up immediately.  Basically, this service enables me to provide 24/7 hosting support to my guests.  This is crucial when you have multiple units and a large staff.  Unfortunately, I cannot stop my guests from contacting me on the phone as it shows up right in the message thread.  So your point about "don't allow them to message you outside of Airbnb" makes absolutely no sense.  This is not something you can prevent.

And quite frankly, I'm less interested in being litigious with my guests and more interested in being reachable by any channel they prefer.  Furthermore, I've actually used text and email communications off of Airbnb in my disputes successfully.  Airbnb should absolutely add support for VOIP - it enables me to be a 10+ listing superhost.

Momi0
Level 10

@Patrick426  Thank you for your private message acknowledging that it was not your intent to "come at me' with your FIRST comment in your post.  

Its always better to share your opinion without making the error of writing another host (who never wrote you in the first place) telling them they shouldn't be telling you how to host when in fact, they did no such thing.  Next time, just say Hello.  😉

By the way, I saw your public response to the woman who gave you a less then stellar review and wouldn't stay there again....I was wondering if you knew that she didn't receive your public response from Airbnb. They dont' send those out at all to the guests.

You would have had to copy and paste it into her account in order for her to READ YOUR RESPONSE.  And you should. 

I am dealing with that as we speak...with a guests who complained after the fact.  (even though I repeatedly asked her over and over at night and morning how was the temp in her room, (we had some warm days) and each time she said the ceiling fan was good, only to write me a review saying it was too hot.  And then had the audacity to complain that they had no privacy when in fact they had the entire WEST WING of our FAMILY home to themselves all 3 nights and days.  Ridiculous but I can tell you she definitely got my reponse to her 3 Star review, which was my first one in 2 years!  And to date I have only gotten (3) FOUR STAR reviews since I started hosting. 2 of them were when I first started hosting in 2015, and one in 2017.  The most recent 4 Star Guests gave me 5 Stars in ALL categories, except Overall, she gave me 4.  Said it was because she didn't like having to sit down at 8am for breakfast yet my listing says breakfast is served at 8am and she is the one who chose our listing.  I told her next time choose a place that doesn't offer a delicious homemade breakfast.  Problem solved.  By the way, this is the same guest that I made a birthday cake for her birthday, decorated the bedroom with birthday trimmings and bought her 2 gifts.  And she gave me 4 for Overall!  WTH!??  

So trust me, I understand your frustations on all levels.  :))

Patrick426
Level 2

What does this have to do with VoIP support on Airbnb?