Why is instant booking now default when searching? AirBnB keeps on pushing instant book.

Why is instant booking now default when searching? AirBnB keeps on pushing instant book.

Since several days when searching a place you get only results with instant booking as results. This means all the hosts that don't use instant booking will get a lot less bookings. I totally understand that AirBnB wants to make it easy for guests to book a room, but not really nice for hosts that have good reasons to not use instant booking. It makes me think again that AirBnB pushes instant book even more. 

I suggest to do it different. Not instant booking is relevant for the results of your search but the time a host takes to react. I will always react in less than one hour, so a guests nows almost immediately if I will accept his or her inquiry. Hosts that are not so fast are lower in the search results. That would be more nice for all the host that wants to know more about their potential guests. 

And besides that AirBnB can give guests the option to book instant (but not make it default).

34 Comments
Christopher117
Level 2

Why don't  hosts against instant  booking set  up a Facebook page as a protest ? If it got thousands of friends it could act as the catalyst for the establishment of a rival to the greedy arrogant organisation that AirBnB has become. Anybody interest tweet me ChristoHHart

Olga31
Level 1

I am hosting for 2 years and always was fully booked, lately I don't have any bookings or even views due the IB set as default filter. I cannot accept IB as I am a single female and do not host males, only couples or women. I also work full time and have a social life, so I cannot always accomodate any date or time. The whole point of shared economy and hosting has vanished with Airbnb pushing hosts to become something commercial. A lot of my guests had bad experiences with IB airbnbs and they always tell me that I saved the image after they stay with me. 

I guess I will change the platform soon.

Chris806
Level 3

I am just learning that I have been penalized for not using instant booking Yes I noticed the constant pushing of it by AirBNB but didn't realize I was being penalized in search. I can't add anything that hasn'y already been said in this thread. But wanted to add my voice and say that this has motivated me to explore Homeaway and other options. 

I was also shocked that Airbnb just today suggested I share the exact location of my home to guests who have not booked - in the same email where they provided an essay on safety... 

I feel really creeped out having opened my home to a corporation that now feels so greedy and entirely concerned with itself and profit.

Jennifer866
Level 1

As a host, I feel that IB negates all the positive features of the rating system.   The ability to be able to see who my potential guest are, and their previous stays (with comments from the host) is the reason I became an AIRBNB host in the first place.

So now what do I do...put myself on IB and then cancel the booking afterwards if there are negative reviews or no info at all???  Not good!