Why less people are using ARBNB

J24
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Why less people are using ARBNB

Dear team, 

My name is Julian. I am a host nearly 2 years.

When I compare 2016 bookings with 2017 booking I notice that during the 2017 I have less booking and the price per night is less than 2016.

I improved a lot my studio, new furniture, new photos but this doesn help me to increase my bookings and price.

I think one of the reason is that when costumers are looking to book for example for 2017 there is are a lot of listing, that actually cannot be booked for 2017 due to 90 day limit. When the customer click to book he can not becouse the calendar is blocked.

I think is dificult for customer to find a property that actually have availabelity.

My idea is for example all listing that can not be booked for 2017 to not appear on search result, so the customer can find easy avaialable property.

9 Replies 9
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@J24:  I think your caption is misleading, Julian.  It states:  "Why less people are using Airbnb."  This statement is very different than what I have read in external news articles, or internal Airbnb articles.  The platform and its use is growing, maybe even exponentially - that's what I believe.  Our Airbnb rental is in an extremely popular destination area, and every day there are new rentals popping up in this very rural (even remote) area that is small with few amenities.  And while the mediocre Hosts may not be very busy, most places on Airbnb (usually mountain cabins), are renting frequently.  I recommend you look at your competition to assess why your business is less than in 2016.  I commend you for keeping your place up and continuing to improve it -- I think we ALL must do that to stay competitive, unless we are the only house on an island or something.  Our small area is busting with cabins being purchased solely to turn into Airbnb houses since we started.  I would venture that the # of houses in this internationally popular destination area has at least doubled since we started hosting 15 months ago.  That may be happening in your area as well, and your marketing strategy should include finding out what and where people are attracted.  Airbnb's own listing site is the perfect place to do that.  You might try finding a couple niches - such as unknown attractions in your area, and you or your house's strengths and promote those in your listing.  Good Luck!  

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lois & Darryl

I think Airbnb should stop taking new listing where an area is already saturated, I have practical experience of the problem surrounding this issue, while I got predominantly five-star reviews for one of my listings, the income from the apartment in high season did not even cover the low mortgage cost, never mind the fact for three months, it got no bookings at all.

When, I'm full Airbnb take a fee and when I'm follow Airbnb have no exposer to the costs of keeping an apartment empty, on the off chance that some person decides to book.

This I feel, exposes the flaw in the sharing economy proposition that the business's controlling the process are making serious money without any risk or repercussions and the Host must rely on luck for an income.

While I agree market forces can determine the success or failure of a business, if a business does not start from a financially sound bases it will never succeed. So, what I'm saying is, no one should enter a market where the product supply is already saturated and the price being charged have no bases in reality.  

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Lois-and-Darryl0 Exactly. Airbnb attracts more and more people, and possibly it is the offer itself that will defend on the market. I have observed a huge increase in the number of guests compared to last year. Of course, one good reason is its location. But not only, reading the reviews of the guests. So certain features will always make some listings stand out. It obvious for the competitive market.

@Cormac0 Unfortunately, that is not what airbnb might be planning to do. The more hosts, the more possibilities and more income. Didn't you notice that alluring link to "Invite your friends to host. Earn $XX for each new host you refer"? And in some countries there are already regulations that only approved/certified businesses may provide short-term accommodation, or that you can only share a part of your property, not the entire place. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

I think there's a primary philosophic change when you go from part-time renting rooms to renting units or houses full-time. Airbnb never makes any guarantees that a geographic location is desirable, or a unit suitable for guests. The decision to fully dedicate a space to Airbnb is  solely the responsibility of the User.

Supply and demand is going to determine which Hosts stay and which leave or sit on the sidelines. I know you've been disappointed with the declining demand, and I empathize with that, but Airbnb isn't in the business of making hosts money. They're in the business of making money for Airbnb. They will have the same (if not more) income by having oversaturation of Hosts at virtually no additional cost to Airbnb. The Hosts absorb that cost, and we do so 'voluntarily'. As the demand decreases, so do our prices, and eventually those that cannot afford to not host, will find alternatives and fold.

Additonally, turning away new hosts to avoid oversaturation would be a slap in the face of a free market. Imagine the lawsuits that would surface if Airbnb were to make their (hosting) services usable by only to a select group of people, even if that group is not a 'protected class'. That would generate negative publicity for sure, which I'm sure Airbnb tries to avoid.

Esther153
Level 1
Taipei City, Taiwan

Dear Sirs: 

I feel we can't use e-mail to communicate with Airbnb Ii's a big

problem. sometimes case are urgent If can't use e-mail to contact.cause Host pending the Booking. It's a kind of loss

for both Airbnb,Host and Guest.

Why don't you open e-mail in order for all the parties work more productively.

This is our sincerely suggestion. Hoping to get your feedback a.s.a.p

Rgs Esther

Esther153
Level 1
Taipei City, Taiwan

Correcttion Guest not Host

E-mail address is essential for 3 parties.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Esther153 However, it would encourage bookings outside airbnb, which is definitely not their goal. So I doubt it might be implemented.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

I never invited anyone to host until the other day. Somehow a few of my facebook friends in other places came up, so I invited them. However, I'm not going to invite anyone else. I don't like the downward pricing pressure that is already there. I'm a "Super Host" and now they are changing the rating system so that the odd one out has all the power. That really bothers me and I wouldn't wish that tortue or cruelty on anyone. So, no I'm not gonna do that to my friends because in my experience they treat hosts like they are disposable.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Maybe it's because of the things guests say about ABB on trustpilot.com. They have the worst rating compared to other VR sites.