cleaning "limit"

Miriam126
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

cleaning "limit"

Should airnb have "some rules" about how they should behave in general in the house?

I mean... one of my guest left a very dirty house. Not just the normal "chaos" of a used house... They smoked cigarettes and threw them on the floor of the garden despite a big ashtray... they did not clean the toilet, that was really dirty (imagine yourself how), leftovers in the fridge, dirty dishes on the kitchen table... 

I mean... I understand that there is a cleaning fee, but what is the limit? what shall we expect? and ask? 

I was really surprised... 

thank you.

7 Replies 7
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Miriam0

I think these guests get confused, the cleaning fee is for all the item the Guest don't see, under the beds for example or cleaning the cupboards.

I don't think it’s unreasonable for the guests to leave the items they use in the place they found them.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've seen, some Guest are neat & tidy and some are just slovenly, this is something to do with human nature which is very hard to regulate and control.

Regards
Cormac
The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

We have a binder in our guesthouse that lists all of the check-out procedures. 98% of people will do exactly as written. Some people leave a messy place but nothing that is out of the ordinary. Everyone is different so use this as a learning experience and try to make changes to your rules/procedures that can lessen this in the future.

Miriam126
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I will do it...

I will write the check out procedures... 

Thanks for your feedback!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Miriam126, if it's still there, there is a passus in the descriptions of the procedure or what renting on airbnb means, that states Leave it like you Found it, or something in that sense. Nobody reads help files before a stay though. 

Long before airbnb, we had a printed list on the wall, that said in 3 languages things like Wash dishes, Clean the bathroom, Wipe tables, Clean the floor and other evident things. "Give it back as you got it!" is not enough.

Martin27
Level 10
Berlin, Germany

Dear @Barry-and-Lera0,

it would be great if you could publish your check-out procedures here. 🙂

It could save a lot of work to other hosts reading this.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

No problem @Martin0. Every home, apartment and guesthouse is different so I'm sure these will vary based on the property and what the host wants done

This is pulled straight from our house manual that is left for guests.

CHECK OUT

• Check out time is NOON. There is no late check-out unless approved by us in advance.
  • Please take your garbage out to the bins in the driveway.
  • Please leave used towels and washcloths on the bathroom floor.
  • You do not have to empty the refrigerator of leftover food.
  • Put all dishes in the dishwasher. You do not have to run the dishwasher.
  • Lower the high automated blinds.
  • Turn the thermostat to 74° (summer).
  • Turn off all lights.
  • Please send us a text or email letting us know when you have checked out.

Please do not forget to write your review on your experiences at the Artist Studio. You only have fourteen (14) days after check-out to do so. Reviews tell future guests more about our studio from a traveler’s perspective. Plus, it helps us understand what we are doing right and what we can improve on.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Barry-and-Lera0@Miriam126 thanks for sharing......I wanted to mention something I do with my guest as I greet them and give quick tour of the cottage. Showing outside trash can for their overload of throw aways - and hose to rinse off beach sand - I have a guestbook that guest write in often and I very causally mention that WE (host) also review them (guest) so many seem surprised to hear this. The focus seems so much on US getting reviews.  And its a nice way to encourage them to leave a review AND I think also, to further them being good guest.  It is surely a learning all the way around. Especially for those first time guest - we have to teach them what to expect and how things work. I didn't realize until this post how important it is for folks to really understand WHAT is expected when they check out.......thanks for the community and info......So far our guest have been terrific!