unreal bad review left from guest!

Marilyn29
Level 2
Frankston, Australia

unreal bad review left from guest!

before I have some young unhouse trained guests stayed at my place. however, they made lot of mistake and very irresponiblity as people living in the house. door just close without lock, lost my house keys and forget to switched off the light in the living room and kitchen. the light was happened 4 times in a week. Then I set up rules and post on the door and fridge that

"if guest forgot to switch off light that will be a  penalty of $5 a day as this is waste and elecrity in au is very expenisve, if forgot to lock the door if any  item has stolen, you will liable for the cost."

And laterly there was 1 guest in her 50s, She was stayed in my place for 3 night. She was mainly come home for sleeping, I seldom see her, but I still texted to ask how was her sleeping, ok, she said fine, I told her that if she needs umberella ask me i can lend to her as was rainning so on..... so we did not have any argue or other things, end up I left her a good review, and She left me a bad review, said that I am a very commerical person, as she mentioned she saw the notices for above 2 rules. This old woman made me very sick of her, she did not think widely, only consider herself as a guest. 

I offerred a low reasonable price of a space of AUD $25 per night inculded 4 bills, bathroom items  in a conveniecnt location. of course people sh reasonable usage of utilities. if they waste I need to recovery it, people made mistake they need to resosponsible for their own mistakes, no the hose to bear all the lost. actually I found one mornight she forgot to lock the door but i locked it and i did not menionted it as nothing was happend. but she disliked my rules and gave me a bad review. I feel this woman has very narrow minded. I am happy for she isnt a host, does not chance to meet bad guests. 

you know very hard to commnicatied with guest, you dont know they good or bad. they were acting nice on face but in their mind & heart were very evil.

I contacted to airbnb about the incoorect review left by guest, they always in the guest favour, said they have the right to leave their feeling of your place....

some of guests even steal my coffee in my own cabinet used with the wet spoonge, then lately I found my rest of coffee in the can grown mold, have to throw away.  

25 Replies 25
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Marilyn29  Which bad review, there are many.

There have been 60 people over the last 5 days that have read your hard-to-follow rant and yet remained 'speechless'. That should tell you something. You should give some thought on how you are going about your hosting, read more on the subject, and ~definitely~ you need to improve to lessen the constant 'axe-battles' with your guests.. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Marilyn29,

@Fred13 is right.  Your negative responses are unprofessional. Prospective guests will read your rants and realize that you are a crazed nutter.

Your responses are so bad, that you publically admit that you rent to guests off of Airbnb!

Now, you have given Airbnb a reason to kick you off this site.

Keep your responses to two lines and reasonable

"I am suprised by this unhappy review, because guest did extend his stay"

I give guests my house key so they have freedom to come home at their desire times. so if they come home after mid night, and forgot to switch off the light, so I need 24 hrs to checking and help to swtich off? if they lost my house key, or did not lock my door and cause any stolen.... this is not hotel and motel, as they charged high price to cover for these services, my area 3 star motel charing $139 per night, my woman guest was paid $25 a night and able to cook in my house.... this is hosting the guest stay at home for good price.

I think you guys did not had such guests and did not happened such things to yours so come up with these replies. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Marilyn29@Fred13@Paul154 YES, I am with Fred and Paul - really surprised you are still allowed to  host on Airbnb. You admit to doing a cheaper deal with someone on his review and your ranting is totally crazy. I am shocked folks would book with you anyway. WOW exhausting - nuts and so if you are looking for support from me and others on here - I'd say - relax, take a holiday and think about how you are hosting - 

Yes, Fred is right now 73 people have read this and 5 days later 3 of us finally just can't NOT SPEAK OUT to YOU Marilyn. 

correction...............106 views now! 

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

@Marilyn29  I just read your guest reviews and I have to agree with the guests who call you "crazy".  Your written responses are bizarre and I would never stay at your Airbnb after reading them.  You are a host, not an Army drill sargeant.  You need to do some serious thinking about being a more hospitable host. 

Michael, one day if your guest forgot to switch off a 2000w of proble heater in her bedroom for the whole day, I dont think you will still giving me such reply!!!   2000w of electic product's runing cost is about AUD 80cents per hr. 8 hrs costs $6.4 for nothing. I wish in the future you have expeireces hosting such guests and see if you still will left respond to me? 

pls no only picked my neg reviews. i also have good reviews too. 50% of guests has rebook again. 

and you sh found these problem guests mostly new to airbnb did not have good review before....

my guest - Mariv G, he made up "untrue" reviews on my profile because I successfully claimed for an extra cleaning fee that he made mess in my place. And he was unhappy about it and made up unture review. (and how can he able to make 2 reviews, as he booked 2 times in my place, if he thinks my place was not good to stay why he will book again? ) i also posted a conversation dated  01-15-2018 10:07 PM supported the pics that how he made my place n his bedroom hugh mess.

guests left the bedroom n common area huge mess i found at the check out

you guys did read recent new about an uni studen booked a whole house and used it as party house, end up damaged the property, the host needed to pay usd 50,000 to fix the things, and that uni studen even left a bad review on the host's profile. 

some guests made up things and lie, special they will not come back that house agian in the future.

dont use the "double standard" apply to my case!

My guest arrived and take photo unload to Airbnb request all money refund after she ruined my apartment. The case manager PAUL get all my money from my booking to the guests and then no reply my message! I need to hire technician to fix the furniture they reined, I need clean all of my bedding linen after they put them on the floor and step on it! Six bedding linens not one! All dirty and deep shoes black marks. They **bleep** in the toilet and it is sticky! I need to all clean over again after I clean it for five hours before they arrived! They like the Terrorism and Airbnb case manager Paul is their helper! I called Airbnb and they said after the case manager involoved it, you cannot complaint or find other justice to help!
What can I do! Being a host in Airbnb is so helpless especially when the guests like terrorism have their helper on Airbnb!

How's the superhost to run their business? It's seems impossible you 100 guests and all reasonable! Think about it! 

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

@Marilyn29 - the negative reviews just confirm our first impression here in the forum.  I'm assuming that English may not be your first language and is part of the issue with your messages being difficult to follow.  Your guests may have similar issues.  

But removing language barriers, your responses here and to your reviews are simply "off" and most definitely off putting.  Your hosting rules are also unreasonable.  If you cannot absorb additional utility costs in your hosting rate, than that is your fault.  You chose your price... if it is not profitable - then raise it.  

I'm a conservationist by nature.  I live in area which has zero rain fall the entire summer.  And as I'm on an island, our water supply is finite... and our water rates DOUBLE in the summer to encourage conservation.  I die a little inside when I hear a guest taking an extended shower, but because I know my water cost will double in summer, I raise my summer rates.  Very simple.  What I don't do, is submit an additional bill to my guests.  If a host did that to me, I would ask them if they were smoking crack before walking away shaking my **bleep** head.  

We are in the hospitality business... your practices are anything but hospitable.  

hos·pi·tal·i·ty
noun

1. the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.

synonyms:
    friendlinesswarm reception, welcomehelpfulness, neighborliness, warmthkindness
    congeniality, genialitycordiality, courtesyamenability, generosity

Thanks for your suggestion. my place is offering bragain price for the resonable / normal guests to stay in my place. yes definily i will loss if some unresonable guests wasted utilities, (specially water, ele, gas are very expensive in AU, AU is the most expensive life cost in the world), if I raised the cost it is no fair for other normal guests that they need to pay extra same as other unresonable guests, n I am a "green enciromnetalist". Think of no swictch off the lights in the common area, this is home, no motel or hotel, I need to sleep, if the guests come home 3 am, so i need to wake up to check and help them to swith off the lights and other things....  i have put no smoking signs in my house, deck, garden the guests still somking in my deck and my garden... some guests did not complied my house rules. in Mel our weather is very dry, in the summer every year happened brush fire....

I dont think I set strict rules, I did not like someone mentined guests have a limited time to use the shower ! ......

I am a high educationed and have good courtesy, n awared of polite and ethic issue. I fully understand of your wording and how to act it, but if the guests did not complied your house rules again and agian can host still fridendiness and smile?    

@Marilyn29 - you ask - 

“ If guests do not comply with house rules, can a host just smile and still be friendly?”

and the answer is yes. One of my recent guests ran the electric heater in the bathroom for hours. It is meant to be used as one is entering or exiting the bath, not to heat the entire space. I checked my electric bill, and my bill is just shy of $10 higher than my normal in April. Because of the heater. My guest even mentioned in her review how long it took to heat the room. It’s NOT supposed to heat the room. But I pay the electric bill, and waved my guest goodbye, with a smile. Period. 

Being a host means we share our space with people who may or may not, be like us. People who may or may not, share our values. If any of us are so entrenched in having things our OWN way, then maybe hosting and hospitality aren’t the business for us. 

thanks for sharing your story. it depends on how serious of the case. my some are didn't lock the entrance door, just close the door. lost my house keys..... these could cause of stolen... smoking in my garden n garden that i don't accept. if cause fire, do u think how much of their room fees could cover? n in au insurance company won't cover the guests fm airbnb.   

may i ask how much you charged this guest of a bedroom per night? n this guest used extra $10? you offering luxury n good quality of stay or bargrain with the baisc but clean place?

my single bedroom only offering basic but clean place.  i charged $25aud a night, cost $5 a day a person at the normal use of the consumption items, basicly it only $20 just for the bedroom. this is as very cheap rate attracts lots guests to stay, n such bargain price guest sh not use some abnormal.  if they had wasted something then they sh pay extra to cover, as if i raised the rate, it is no fair to other guests. but may be i sh.

in the market, just like there are some good quality airplane charges expensive ticket, as added premium of service n quality n the price, some low pirce airplane offers low price air ticket with just only basic, if pessanger wants something extra, then pay for the extra. n like the 5 star hotel vs 3 star motel.