โค๏ธ Airbnb Stories ๐Ÿ– Changing Lives ๐ŸฌNew Pastures ๐Ÿ™Giving Thanks ๐Ÿ’–

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

โค๏ธ Airbnb Stories ๐Ÿ– Changing Lives ๐ŸฌNew Pastures ๐Ÿ™Giving Thanks ๐Ÿ’–

Hello Airbnb community, 

On this special day I wanted to share a little airbnb story and tell you all how it changed my life. I just thought to be grateful for the opportunities Airbnb created and encourage other hosts to do so as well. 

Last year, following the global turmoil I packed my bags and decided to move out of LA. I shut down my luxury airbnbs gradually and decided I would take one of the biggest chances in moving to a brand new city where I knew nobody. I have been to over 40 States and I had such great memories of Fort Lauderdale that I always thought I would retire here. Little did I know it would happen in a few years, while I was in my mid 30s. I had an airbnb voucher, so I booked myself a short trip to Fort Lauderdale to lease an apartment. I booked an airbnb for my stay in a little cosy area on water, overlooking luxury yachts and villas.

Apparently my host Charlie also moved from CA and the little window of my airbnb room gave me a great perspective to the point where I opened it and took a picture of the yachts parked across, thinking that one day I will also have yachts. The same day I took my proof of funds and was on my way to lease an apartment when I was stopped by the lady on the boat, Aizhan who was also an airbnb host, asking if I was her guest.

I mentioned that I was not, but that I liked her boat and wished one day I would have one too. I speak Russian so we connected well. She invited me onboard and told me her husband was selling the boat because they were out of state and keen on buying a sailboat instead. I told her that I would buy it. At the time I also received a small loan and ensured I showed them my proof of funds so they could keep it for me.

I also leased an apartment the same day, then flew back to LA, packed everything up and was ready to move CA to FL within a month! In the meantime, I was looking for a good name for my new boat, and I always had something for the name Athena, the goddess of wisdom, so I didn't have to think hard. We went to the title office shortly after my move to Florida and celebrated my first yacht.

There was one thing though, the first day I walked into that boat, I was terrified to the point where I shut the doors, run away to the beach and cried. I was not sure what they were, those giant cockroaches, but gradually I learned they were Florida's national insect and imagine in a few months I came to like them to the point I find them cute now.florida 

My total antique remodel took me 3-4 months. I started googling how to remove screws, learned to be patient, work hard and tackle all my fears. My pianist hands looked like contractor hands in a short time, but Athena wanted me to do everything on my own and I didn't mind, as I was so excited about my new venture. I also just wear vintage dresses, so a lot of people saw a little woman drilling and cutting wood and probably thought I was out of my mind. I knew it was temporary, but as you could imagine, I prayed a lot before doing anything!

As I was working on the boat, I felt grateful for the opportunities I had and thought to myself, wouldn't it be great to fall in love again! In a few months I saw my neighbor that was also out of state, who had two boats. He saw me work hard and probably thought, wouldn't it be nice to sell my boat to someone who is so passionate about yachts! I knew the yacht was called Amore, and when he asked if I was interested in getting his boat as well, my answer was Yes, I am buying it! I still think he didn't take me seriously until I transferred some deposit a few weeks later. After a month, I had my love, Amore, just as I asked for (next time I am going to be very particular that it is a man I am praying for and not a boat or a car!).

It's a funny story, but I remember one Easter I was praying again and coming out of the church a gentleman passed by in a 65 mustang in LA, I thought to myself, this is my favorite car! Little did I know he was selling it as he pulled up right in front of me and put a For Sale sign on. That same day I bought my first car, a muscle. Again, that was not exactly what I was praying for (I'd say be very particular)! Back to Amore, as soon as I walked in there, I also shut the doors and run away, but it's a very long story that took me 5 month to complete, again, all on my own.

Today I felt grateful that Airbnb created opportunities for me and allowed me to make a great difference in my community. I have had wonderful guests that appreciated my personal touches and a few that also packed and moved to this city following their stay. I always share my story with my lovely guests to inspire them in a way. I gave names to all my iguanas, cockroaches, lizards, ducks, crabs, birds and fish and included their pictures in my house manual for guests to spot them. My guests have been kayaking, fishing, biking to the beach and having fun on the boats. A lot of people have fears of animals and insects, I did too, but when you give them names, they become cute for some reason, an instant transformation. 

I also thought that we could all use a similar transformational tool and choose the right names for our life, feelings, people and events. A lot of times I myself got frustrated at airbnb representatives and staff over the phone for valid reasons in the past 5 years, but I shouldn't have, see...I have regret too, but it really matters what approach we take in life to view events. It is easy to be upset, angry and resentful, but the choice is yours. Your future is in your hands and you too can take a chance to make a decision to change your life and inspire others. I biked to the beach the other day and saw someone with a t shirt that said Ocean Fixes Everything. From that day on, i bike to the ocean every single day either for sunrise or sunset and I always think to myself, what an Easy Fix! It really can be that easy to make a decision and stick to it. 

I hope my Airbnb story inspires you today and you can also share yours to lift someone up.

Greetings from sunny Florida. 

Rose. 

6 Replies 6
Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Rose422 Thank you so much for sharing your story! It's wonderful to hear about how you found Fort Lauderdale and Athena & Amore, and I think many of us are still praying for a man perhaps that's why the boat was easier to get. ๐Ÿ˜œ

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Rose422
Level 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL

That's interesting Sybe! I lived in London for nearly 10 years, my family is still there. Can't wait to visit when restrictions are lifted in US as well. But yes, I still have the European standards even after moving to US about 5 years ago! I grew up in a third world country though so it makes it even more complicated ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Sandra1782
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Hi Rose 

Lovely to read your story . Did you get to London to visit your family? I love Fort Lauderdale. Hope I can get to visit again soon.  Finding a man is easy but its the nice one thats hard . Hope your well.

Sandra 

Hi Sandra, 

Thanks for joining. Not yet, but as soon as the US lifts all restrictions, I will be on my way! My brother got married and had a baby and I look forward to seeing everyone. It would be nice to have a host event in England, like a super host meetup. I have never had one of those, but thinking about organizing one here in the future. Maybe you will think about it too...

Rose.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Great story @Rose422. It is most fortunate to remain idealistic even as one gets older. 

/Presently renovating a 36-ft trawler myself in Belize, but waiting on my interior decorating sister (from Deland, Florida) coming next week and will follow her vision.

That's wonderful Fred! I am glad our community is stretching far and beyond. I am sure you will both do a great job on the remodel, look forward to checking your new listing pictures ๐Ÿ˜‰