1 Star Review for Host when Guest Breaks House Rules

1 Star Review for Host when Guest Breaks House Rules

Hi everyone,

I'm a pretty new host, so I may be a bit strict on house rules.  I had a guest who was trying to have a party with 10 guests over in a 1 bedroom condo.  When I saw this, I messaged her on Airbnb app to ask her guests to leave since her phone was blocked.  She also had extra guests staying over than the 2 she booked.  After the stay, I requested additional money for the vomit in the bathroom, extra guests, and breaking house rules.  She gave me a 1 star review.  How do you all deal with guests like this?  How do you prevent this from happening in the future?

She has no reviews and said that she was visiting friends and family in the area.  

I started 1 month ago and have all 5 star reviews except for this one.  Now Airbnb is sending emails about my listing being at risk.  What should I do?

Thanks so much!

47 Replies 47

@Elisabeth40    https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1869/what-is-an-assistance-animal

Read that page- it will tell you what qualifies as a service animal, what questions you can ask of the guest and what behaviors are considered to be required for a service animal.

But like I said before, as a home-share host, especially one with allergies, you don't have to accept asistance animals at all. 

It's great that you'd like to be welcoming to those who really do have those animals, but people will lie and then it's a difficult situation if you find they just brought an out-of-control puppy. So it's up to you if you want to take a chance or not.

@Sarah977 A guest brought a Chihuahua with them and claimed it was a 'support' dog. Cool, I can dig it being a 90's guy and all, but in reality I find the whole support-animal scene getting a bit strange. 

Well... Rango (lizard I brought to the island a few years ago when he was no more than 6 inches long the size of a gecko and cute) now is 3 feet long and quite menacing looking - at least to a chihuahua which must look like a T-Rex.  Poor thing was traumatized at the first encounter with big bad Rango. I actually had to role play the part of an understanding host. Never a dull moment in this business.

But please any suggestions are welcome, my English is not very good, so maybe it's not clear enough expressed in a proper English.