1 star review (revenge review)

Ryl0
Level 7
Richmond, TX

1 star review (revenge review)

I had a guest recently that gave me 1 star review in all categories. the story is before they could check in, they wanted to change their booking from 2 nights to one night. I told them that they are literally checking-in couple of hours - i said it in a nice way (they could still make changes, but per my listing rules, they probably wont get their money anyway). As soon as they check-in, they said there's some trash all over my condo unit, and dirty. Which I am 100 % sure it wasn't, but I asked a photo anyway. The guest sent photos of my medicine cabinet and kitchen cabinet, he re-arranged it and he called the "leftover cooking oil, spices" trash which I intentionally leave for the next guest that might need it. and then he took photo of "him on top of my bed with his shoes on" saying my bed is dirty. he also took photo of my linen closet, which I dont know whats the problem there, i put extra comforter there. Anyway, after that, he also complained why there's only one bed, I told him that in the listing it was mentioned that we have one bed and one sofa bed. after all his spam, and i replying to all of it, he eventually stopped messaging and I send my normal check-out instruction message the night before his check-out date. Guest did not respond and did not tell me when he checked-out. after few hours, he left me 1 star review. it was 1 star in all categories. It did not matter what i said and tried to help him. I feel like airbnb is really unfair to the host, they do not check facts and try to help the host. I complained about the review, because I do not deserve that 1 star, ive been superhost since 2018. airbnb didnt care even if it was obvious the guest was being difficult and trying to get a free stay in my unit. The guest review was a revenge to hurt my business for not giving him refund/free stay from all his fake complains.

Also, the guest left my unit such a mess, they used my towels to wipe the floor. my towels have stains now.

The guest is new to airbnb (0 reviews), after this experience, I will be careful who to accept in my condo.

26 Replies 26
Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Charge him for the towels and anything else he damaged.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I have now implemented a new procedure of taking a cell phone video of the unit AFTER it has been cleaned after a guest. The cell phone video is time and date stamped, so there is no question of the authenticity. 

I have also posted signs of this procedure. “Quality control” 

image.jpg

@Maia29 

Very good idea.

Alex-And-Rhea0
Level 10
Hakuba, Japan

@Ryl0 Hi! What a terrible experience.   This event would have really shaken me up.

Did you write a review on this monster guest? Just curious because if you didn't there is a box labelled Private which is technically between you and him and this is where you could have told him where he could improve his behaviour. Maybe the box isn't big enough in his case-haha !

Although I have no proof I suspect that Air BnB can read this private part which gives you a little space to negotiate with Air Bnb about this unreasonable guest. Also, you could have photographed the mess he made and uploaded to  Air Bnb as evidence.

I think you may have to initiate something such as a minimum of 3 reviews or something.

Furthermore, perhaps you could lengthen your minimum stay to sat 3 nights, that'll keep the riff-raff away.

This business has been a learning experience for me too but I think, most people are nice.

Talon-And-Ron0
Level 3
Nanaimo, Canada

We had a revenge review too. The guest wanted us to allow unpaid unregistered over night guests. Of course we denied the request.  We got a revenge review and she even stating on the review that she was upset we wouldn't allow her free guests to stay.  Airbnb would not take it down.  They said I could reply on the post with my story.  I did that. However I still think revenge reviews that are clearly done in spite should be removed. It shot our rating to below super host and it has been a long slow process to finally receive super host again.   

I know it's not fair. We had a similar situation with a guest that didn't even stay at our listing, she canceled right when she checked in for fake reasons, asked airbnb to move her to a last minute upgraded location at the same cost, and on top of that requested a full refund. We offered the refund that comes with her reservation policy, and she didn't like that so she left a 1 star review all across every category. Now we are stuck with a 1 start vindictive review that airbnb refuses to remove. We take pride of our 5 star reviews all across the board and Super Host status, so this one star review doesn't represent our listing nor the guest experiece. I feel your pain, and Airbnb needs to do something about it to prevent revenge unfair reviews

Cherie-and-Bill0
Level 4
Melbourne, FL

After  81 - 5 Star reviews and 1 - 4 Star, we received our 1 - Star revenge review. Here is our story...

Our listing clearly states that the Casita accommodates two adults, age 21 and over, in one queen bed. There is no provision for extra guests. The guest and two other young ladies arrived via Uber at 10:30 pm. When questioned about the third person, the response was, "we do this all the time". Not wanting to evict 3 ladies with no car in the late evening, I let them in. I even offered the use of our guest bedroom in the main house. Guest never communicated to us that there was a third person in her group, which of course, would not be allowed. We were told, "it was a last minute thing", as if that even mattered. Just to be clear, at 7:30 pm, that night, guest texted that they were waiting for their connecting flight from Charlotte to Melbourne and that they would not have a car, using Uber from the airport instead. So, three hours before their arrival, they didn't know about a third person, evidently. We are sorry guest did not feel welcome when we asked her and her group to cancel their reservation and leave the next morning, although I cannot imagine a situation where a host would be happy and welcoming at this point. A side note...I also contacted Airbnb customer support and initiated a refund to compensate the ladies for the fees Airbnb was not going to refund to them; (one and one half days) withdrawn from our own account. So, to summarize: guest makes a bogus booking knowing full-well they are breaking the rules, and gets caught. Host accommodates them for one night so as to not turn them out to the street without a vehicle and nowhere else to stay. Host gives guest a refund that is not required. Host gets 1-Star Review. My wish is that future hosts think long and hard before they allow this person into their house. Of course, Airbnb will not take the review down because, "the content does not violate their policy".  It is so frustrating. 

@Cherie-and-Bill0 

Sorry this happened to you. It sounds that you were more than helpful to these guests given the circumstance, but some people are so entitled, the only thing that would have made them happy is for you to disregard your own rules, let them complete the whole stay with the extra guest and not said a word about it. However, that's unacceptable. We have a right to set boundaries for our own listings.

I see that you offer self check in, which I am guessing is why you allow check in until 2am, but this seems very late to me. If you have guests arriving very late at night and there is some sort of problem, you are kind of stuck with them, for the reasons you describe. My check in is until 9pm and, if guests want to arrive after that, they need to ask me first and pay a late check in fee.

I think that I would not have been as generous as you. I don't know about the options in your area, but the fact that these ladies did not have a car is of no matter. They could have ordered another Uber to take them elsewhere and, I assume, checked themselves into a hotel.

I would have been furious if guests brought an extra person to my listing unannounced and the cherry on the cake is their comment "we do this all the time". No way, no how would they have stayed in my listing. If they are so disrespectful and entitled from the outset, there is no guarantee that they are not going to turn out to be nightmare guests. It sounds like, from the review you left the young lady, that they were well behaved for the remainder of their short stay, but the bad behaviour continued in the form of a 1 star review. Of course, not allowing them to stay the first night and not offering additional refunds (really don't know why you felt you need to do this) would have also resulted in that 1 star review, but trying to help disrespectful people like this doesn't pay off, as you have seen.

Going forward, I know it should be obvious as it's the maximum number of guests is stated in your description, but add it to your house rules as well and use stronger language. Mine not only state that the room is for a maximum of two people but also that only guests registered on the booking will be allowed to stay. All of my guests must confirm that they have read and agree to the house rules and there is an Easter egg question they must answer so that I know they have read the full version. You are then completely within your rights to say, "I am sorry but no. You agreed to follow my house rules and are already trying to break them. You confirmed that you had read them so you knew full well you could not bring an extra person."

I would then call Airbnb, explain that the guests have arrived with an additional, unregistered person without informing you and that brings their party over your maximum capacity. Ask Airbnb to cancel the booking and then they can contact the guests and try to help them find alternative accommodation if they like, but once the booking is cancelled, the guests need to leave your property. They are not your problem anymore. It sounds harsh, but it's a problem of the guest's making, not yours.

Similar story. A person put 1 star rating for cleaning after saying it was "neat" in his text even!

I think 1 star ratings for cleaning at least should be always supported by evidence.

Yes, I've had exactly the same bad experience with guests and airbnb never supports me as the host.  The system is more fair to the bad guest than it is to a Superhost.  Everything about airbnb is based on ratings and reviews, yet they won't support us when we struggle with bad guests.  I'm working on shutting down my business because airbnb sucks so badly.

Noelle145
Level 1
Grand Lake, CO

We just had almost the exact same experience. 3 years of perfect 5 stars for a popular lakeside cabin where I live local as the host. The guest gave a 1 star as theur reported senitivty to hot tub clean and demanded us refund more of their stay (we already send 15 refund as we wanted to let them know we were sorry this happened but that was the best refund we could do) The retaliated and Airbnb said "sorry, we dont mediate the truth of reviews" and literally could care less. We have determined after the last 3 guests since December 2022 have been awful, to move to VRBO full time. Airbnb does NOT CARE about its owners.

Robert7271
Level 2
San Rafael, CA

I just had the same experience. 5 star reviews all summer and then a recent guest left a 1 star review across the board as retaliation for not approving their fraudulent refund request. Haven’t used VRBO but seriously considering it now.