$10,000 in Stolen Items and unit trashing

$10,000 in Stolen Items and unit trashing

Hey all, I wasn't sure whether to post here or just forwarn new hosts of the dangers of renting in a cosmopoltian urban region - but my Airbnb guests this weekend ransacked my entire condo unit - cigarettes burnt out on the floors and the walls, broken furniture, mud all over the floors - along with about $10,000 in stolen valuables. I have been attempting to contact Airbnb via e-mail and telephone and have yet to recieve a response. At this point, I find it extremely frightening that they will not even have a person reach out to contact their members in instances such as this. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point but I will absolutely be taking this to the media as I work in content and public relations. If anybody has been through a similar experience I would love to discuss. Thank you. 

11 Replies 11

Sorry this has happened to you.  

You need to follow the proceedures: 

Make sure you call out the police and file a police report immediately.  This will be imperative. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/937/what-is-host-protection-insurance

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center?topic=233

Hello,

I have been hosting for almost 2 years now.  We had 4 men from Bulgary stay with us for 10 days.

When we went to the house several hours after they departed, the drain was backed up and there was water all over the basement floor and there is grease in the water.

My question is, I am out of the country and my cleaning lady got it all cleaned up for me and we need to have the drain guy out to clear the drain.

There is no way for me to know that this group put the grease down the drain but it seems like they should have seen it at least and contacted us immediatley.

Would you attempt to bill them for the clean up?  I dont have pictures as i have a new cleaning lady or just pay the couple hunderd dollars it cost me and write it up as a cost of doing business.

I do have all my guests sign leases and i do collect a $500 damage deposit.

@Pam9  Do I understand you correctly that you are collecting a security deposit?  In that case you are operating outside the Air BNB platform.  Air BNB does not collect the deposit but reserves the right to get the payment from the credit card should there be a supported host claim.  I am sure you know that if you do not have proof a guest caused the problem, you have to eat the cost and see if there is anything you can do to mitigate this type of problem.  

Ehren0
Level 1
Monterey, CA

What was the name of the people so others can be forewarned ?

Robin42
Level 3
Newberg, OR

That's terrible!  I'm so sorry! Please update us when you do hear from Airbnb.

Thanks for your reply Robin. Still nothing back from Airbnb yet unfortunately. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello @Reanna0  It must be horrible to have your listing so trashed.  Your reviews are mostly very positive with guests appreciating your hosting style.  In viewing your listing, I see that you have no security deposit, allow smoking and virtually no house rules.  It feels very trusting, frankly.  As @Alice-and-Jeff0 have posted, there are specific procedures to follow, but you will find that you might take a more cautious approach to your listing, especially because you are not there to manage guest behavior.  If you had $10,000 in stolen items, I presume you have made a police complaint, but in the future you might be sure not to have valuables available to unsupervised guests.  Again, so sorry this has happened to you, but I hope you are able to move forward and look to how you can modify what you offer.  Keep us posted as to what happens.

Thanks for your reply Linda. The police are involved now, but unfortunately have yet to hear back from Airbnb regarding the incident. 

Victoria200
Level 2
Melbourne, AU

OMG this sounds horrible.  Let us know if you have any update.

I have contacted Airbnb myself recently due to some accident at my apartment (guest left the water tap on flooding the two apartments below me) and have heard back finally after a few follow up phonecalls. However I get a stock standard reply which you will probably receive:

"We're sorry for the confusion regarding our policies. We would like to clarify that the Host Guarantee is not an insurance policy. If a host requests compensation through the Host Guarantee program, Airbnb will review the damages to determine if the guest is responsible and if the host qualifies for reimbursement under our terms: www.airbnb.com/terms

If the host qualifies for compensation, Airbnb will take measures to recoup those funds from the guest. Guests are responsible for leaving the listing as it was presented to them and therefore, responsible for paying for damages they may have caused during the course of the reservation. This being said, the Host Guarantee program does provide payment to the host whether or not we succeed in collecting all of the funds from the guest.

You have either 14 days from the guest’s check out date, or before a new guest checks in, to make a claim for damages. We feel this is enough time to allow hosts time to check their space before new guests arrive. It's also important for the peace of mind of your guests that any claims are made in a timely manner.

The Resolution Center is a required first step in the damage claim process. Please request payment from your guest directly, and upload all applicable documentation for their review at: https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions

If after collecting documentation you find that the costs to remedy these damages is different from the amount you originally requested, you can adjust the amount even after initiating your Resolution Center request.

If your guest does not respond or you cannot reach an agreement within 72 hours you may choose to involve Airbnb in the Resolution Center and we will be happy to mediate.

If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact us."

Good luck and keep us posted.

I had guest by name of Jennifer who was coming to Tulsa ok. From Hawaii to visit a friend she says she hadn’t seen since high school . Jennifer says her age is 45. I and my cohost met Jennifer at my home December 27 2019 she booked 27- jan2 2020.  

Jennifer message me on January 2 @ 6:35am she was checking out and had left my garage door opener and door key on counter ( we ask our guest to  message us when they check out and to leave garage door opener on counter with key pull there car out of garage close garage door go out front door door turn bottom lock on front door to lock front door )

When my host arrived at property she found doors open garage door open  all furniture gone except bedrooms house trashed, broken cabinets .3 tv, cleaning supplies sheets towels silverware shower curtain, even living room furniture, dining room furniture etc.., let’s just say she wiped me out , she even took toilet stool cover and mattress cover  off  king bed .Jennifer message me at 6:35  stating she had locked place up and was headed back to Hawaii. My host call police and the police immediately says this was a inside job no windows were broken, doors kicked in garage door was Not broken into the door key and garage door opener was missing that Jennifer claim she left.but my neighbor has a camera .

To get to or leave my house you have to pass his house it’s the only way in or out. ( thank God ) it shows Jennifer leaving at 5:12 am and @ 5:14am a suv & white pickup truck coming in @ 6:25 am suv and white pick up leaving with my furniture load on it . When Jennifer messenger me and hour and about 15-20 minutes after she left it took robbers about 1 hr and 10 minutes to load my stuff up and leave .

No one knew Jennifer was staying their or  what time Jennifer was checking out and why did she wait an hour to contact me she had left . I believe Jennifer had been taking things out the whole time she was in my place and they took the big stuff out on her last day . There was no forcibly entry and Jennifer stated to me by her message she had locked place up . I’ve had to block off my place , this has been a nightmare. I m a nervous reck.

I live 4 hrs away and having to drive down to get stuff replace like locks changed garage door replaced or reprogram.. cabinate doors repaired they tore them up  they also took modem from my WiFi service (Cox)  these people should not be allowed to book with Airbnb. She took a house full of furniture plush cleaning supplies and sheets towels and dishes all for a 6 day stay and she took my trust for people that you can’t replace 

This is a terrible crime that hosts can be vulnerable to, @Jacqueline501   When did this happen?  Just recently?  I ask because I wondered about your current listing pictures and description if everything you lost was replaced.  Many remote hosts of  .entire home recommend some sort of security system on the outside that can provide real time information about the coming and going of guests.  Allowing strangers to come to your home would be frightening to me, but at least you would have the advantage of information in real time and not hours after a crime is committed.