100% refundable (including Airbnb fee) ..... promotion ?

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

100% refundable (including Airbnb fee) ..... promotion ?

promotion.JPG

Hello , all Hosts

I am newbie to airbnb. Today I just saw that my list had some promotion add in. It is great.

Just want to know what promotion we can get from airbnb and do we need anything spacial to got it ?

If you had somethink like this before ? Do it help your booking ?

Thanks

Nutth

81 Replies 81

@David126 do you by any chance know if this is only for listings that have "moderate" cancellation policy?

@Belinda55 I opened your listing and the banner is not there. Probably because you have changed the cancellation policy to strict?

Moderate or Flexible

David

Yes, that is correct. Strict is now the only option that requires guests to pay anything on cancellation.

Yvette37
Level 2
California, United States

Hi Belinda,

My experience has been that regardless of what refund policy you have, airbnb will refund the full amount if the guests come up with some story or extenuating circumstance.  Since Airbnb will always take the side of the guests, it makes NO difference on what policy you have selected if the guests want to "game" the system.

@Yvette37

Yes, agree that it was always possible for guests who want to game the system. But now with Flexible or Moderate policy cancellation is possible with no excuse, no penalty, don't even have to contact Airbnb 😞
I have proposed a change on the Host Voice forum - please go to the page and upvote if you agree - only need 1 more vote for Airbnb to take notice!

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Voice/More-cancellation-options-re-new-100-refund-policy/id...
"There is such a diversity of properties on Airbnb that one size fits all for cancellation policy is never going to work. Why not let hosts choose the % of cancellation fee and timing of penalty to suit their particular context?"

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Nutth0 @Belinda55 @Farah1 @David126

maybe there is no need to switch to strict and pay 5% host fee . Anette shared small print on another thread and this is possible just 3x in one year. So hopefully it will not cause the flood of cancelations... we will see

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I hope you are right! But the kind of guests I have I don't think would make much more than 3 Airbnb bookings in a year, so for them ... all are fully refundable. I think this idea of fully refundable bookings may work for hotels (eg as on Booking.com) but I think it's very inappropriate for private rooms and holiday lettings. Great for Airbnb and guests, terrible for hosts.

@Belinda55 

yes, I had to close my account on Booking.com because every other booking was canceled 😞

Zagreb is transit destination and our guests usually visit 4-5 destinations on their trip through Croatia so I hope they will not cancel to often, but I totally understand your point of view and share your concerns

The good thing is that service fee will not be refunded to a guest if his new reservation overlaps with the canceled one in any part of the stay.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Thank you for that information. I still fine with Moderate in cancellation. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nutth0.......Yeah, just another little 'tweek' to the system that they did not bother to involve us in.

I have just been through the official 'How can we help' section of Airbnb and there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere there, so Airbnb are not considering important enough to consult anyone on!

What happens when a guest instant books for three weeks time and then cancels 24 hours before the reservation date...is the host going to be compensated for the loss of booking potential for the time that reservation was active.

I tell you what, I am getting really fed up with being shot in the foot by Airbnb....please can they start employing programmers with just a grain of commonsense!!!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 , Looks like no matter what they do, you'll find fault with Airbnb's rules. Why not wait and see how it plays out? At one time the same scenario happened with IB: outcries how terrible it is.... now no more  rebellion against that. Soon, there will be another new thing to rebel against.....We simply cannot expect Airbnb to inform us of every little change they make. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing. Also, On my post about the endless chatter you advocated being positive:  I don't see anything positive in your steady critique of anything Airbnb implements. Being positive in the inconsequential bantering is not the remedy.

Actually, it seems to me that this new implementation could be real helpful to the hosts who inadvertantly accept the cancellation request from a guest and then it's on the host's shoulders. Remember the outcries about that one? So perhaps Airbnb is looking to  remedy that  - lets be open to that porssibility. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Thinking about it more, most of my bookings are short so adding a couple of dollars to my listing price should balance things out. I have lots of bookings in a year, several hundred.

I would be more concerened if I was reliant on a few long bookings.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Lack of communication has been a common theme and this is a prime example, I know they get a feedback summary so this is not something that is not know.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I read the new Flexible Policy here:  https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#flexible

What does the second bullet point mean exactly?

"If a guest books a reservation that overlaps with any part of an existing reservation, we won’t refund the Airbnb service fee if they decide to cancel."

Overlaps?  Like a double booking?  Or do they mean an adjacent booking? (One guest leaves the same day another guest arrives)?

@Cynthia-and-Chris1

It is a way to try and limit say people making 6 bookings at the same time and the deciding closer to the time which one they will follow through on, but easily avoided if you were of that mind.

Ditto the 3 refunds a year limitation.

David