100% refundable (including Airbnb fee) ..... promotion ?

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

100% refundable (including Airbnb fee) ..... promotion ?

promotion.JPG

Hello , all Hosts

I am newbie to airbnb. Today I just saw that my list had some promotion add in. It is great.

Just want to know what promotion we can get from airbnb and do we need anything spacial to got it ?

If you had somethink like this before ? Do it help your booking ?

Thanks

Nutth

81 Replies 81

@Ange2

I think we need to double check - but I am pretty sure that that chart you just used is from the Italian pilot last year - and the main difference that WASN'T carried forward to this year and the cancellation roll-out is in the Moderate - in the pilot it was SEVEN days before booking (changed from the original FIVE days) -

and in the policy launched this week - the Moderate is back to the original 5 days. 

So perhaps best not to use that chart at the moment.

Best Wishes.

@Rachael26@Ange2@Annette33

much of this speculation and angst could be avoided if Airbnb cared to communicate with their hosts ...

true @Belinda55 : much of this speculation and angst could be avoided if Airbnb cared to communicate with their hosts ...

but it is up to us hosts to not fall for every rumor out there and to use our own brains .  A lot of what happens here in the forum is sharing ideas and opinions, and sometimes it's hard to clearly identify if something is a fact or wrong information. There are so many well meaning hosts here who just want to help someone, but sometimes advice is given that is simply wrong and in fact ( hahaha!) does NOT coincide with Airbnb rules.

That is why I am not in favor of hosts to stir up the pot by consistently decrying whatever Airbnb is doing as something bad to be suspicious of.  That only creates a  mentality of mistrust and expecting the worst.  I am all for critisizing and being outspoken about something that is bad - but only when it is a fact, not when it is an unsubstantiated opinion or rumor.

@Annette33 I posted (for the first time ever) to this forum because a banner proclaiming 100% refunds suddenly appeared on my listing - and as far as I know there has been no attempt by Airbnb to consult or even notify me of  this change.  I immediately saw the potential for problems in my particular context (one problem with one size fits all rules is they affect people differently). I don't think letting others know of this experience is 'stirring the pot' 🙂

@Belinda55, I wasn't talking about you - you came here with your concerns, that is perfectly allright! We all know that Airbnb could be better in their communication with us. But as this issue goes, the cancellation policies have nothing to do with the newly implemented refund of Airbnb's service fee to guests. Mixing up the two can easily lead to fears and anxieties, and we just have to sort it out.

Best would be  if we all would explore this together, and answer to eachother concerns. I still don't see how a host is threatened by this new policy, and I haven't gotten any explanation on this to my questions about it, I really do want to undersatnd it better.

That's ok @Annette33 🙂

I am concerned because in my context (beachside weekender) I feel I am vulnerable to late cancellations due to weather reports. While my guests have assured me they have a great time even when the weather is not great, this new policy makes it easy for people to book, then cancel without penalty 5 days in advance if the weather outlook is poor. In this situation it would be difficult to then replace that booking with a new booking.

So while this may bring Airbnb more in line with industry standards for hotels etc, it definitely does not suit everyone!

@Belinda55, ahh okay... but the  possibility for guests to cancel up to five days ahead of a stay with moderate cancellation policy in place has  always been in place like that, it's nothing new. That is what puzzles me, why one would get upset about it now when it was in place for quite a while. The only thing that is different now is that 3x a year guests can now also get their service fee back from Airbnb. the service fee is just a small part of the whole booking, I really don't think that those 12% or so will make a guest go, o yeah, lets cancel. But sure, we will see.....

Because there IS a significant change - previously there was a penalty (airbnb fee) in place that served as a disincentive for cancellations. Now there is no disincentive for guests for the first 3 cancellations. And if they use other accounts (eg partner) that doubles the number of free cancellations.

(Must say I never thought it fair that airbnb made money from cancellations, but not the host.)

yeah @Rachael26 , I think it is an unsubstantiated rumor, see my answer to @Ange2 I just posted. We need to be careful with this kinda stuff! When I looked at  that chart, certain things were just not logical about it at all , like  actually giving a moderate cancellation host a better deal now in comparison with what was supposed  to be the old refund policy ( like guests need to cancel with 7 days out, not 5)  -  but thoroughly punishing strict cancellation hosts now ,  by putting them in a worse position in all colums, in comparison with the supposedly old policy.   Makes no sense. and also  supposedly subtracting 5% fee from them now, when they are getting the shaft? Makes no sense either. But good lord, how many peeps here will just get on the bandwaggon and get incensed now.....

@Rachael26   @Annette33   I did mention that it should be double-checked. But I realized many won't read that part so I asked for it to be deleted as inappropriate content to avoid a fake-news explosion.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

When ths was implimented in Italy the issues it raised were widely discussed and there was a supposition that no matter what Hosts thought it would be expnaded in due course, I am slightly disappointed that it was with no prior notice, but not surprised.

From a selfish perspective as I have lots of short stay guests I can deal with the consequences by slightly increasing my rates.

Bigger issue for those who have much fewer but more substantual bookings, especially if they have a limited season.

Scenario, you have a major event next year, wedding family get together whatever, not sure how many family and friends will come so you can collectively book the accomodation for the max attending knowing that once you have a final head count a week or so before the event you can cancel anything not needed at no cost.

Now if you have a prestige high end property getting big dollars in prime season, not somewhere that somebody is likely to book short term on a whim, what are you thinking, is this the sort of behaviour AirBnB wishes to encourage?

David
Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Moderate: Full refund 5 days prior to arrival

• Cleaning fees are always refunded if the guest did not check in.
  • The Airbnb service fee is refundable (up to 3 times per year) if the guest cancels before the trip starts. If a guest books a reservation that overlaps with any part of an existing reservation, we won’t refund the Airbnb service fee if they decide to cancel.
  • Accommodation fees (the total nightly rate you're charged) are refundable in certain circumstances as outlined below.
  • If there is a complaint from either party, notice must be given to Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in.
  • Airbnb will mediate when necessary, and has the final say in all disputes.
  • A reservation is officially canceled when the guest clicks the cancellation button on the cancellation confirmation page, which they can find in Dashboard > Your Trips > Change or Cancel.
  • Cancellation policies may be superseded by the Guest Refund Policy, extenuating circumstances, or cancellations by Airbnb for any other reason permitted under the Terms of Service. Please review these exceptions.
  • Applicable taxes will be retained and remitted.
5 days prior

Check 
C

he

ck o

For a full refund of accommodation fees, cancellation must be made five full days prior to listing’s local check in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check in. For example, if check-in is on Friday, cancel by the previous Sunday before check in time.

If the guest cancels less than 5 days in advance, the first night is non-refundable but 50% of the accommodation fees for remaining nights will be refunded.

If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, 50% of the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded.

Hi @Annette33@David126@Ange2@Belinda55@Nutth0, @Rachael

This is my cancellation policy as it shows on my dashboard.  I do not see this as the end of the world. I can adjust my price to absorb the extra % point butif I don't do that I figure since Philly only allows 180 nights a year occupancy, I am going to lose about $200- $250  over the year.  I am too tired to illuminate any points so I will just say I agree with everything @Annette33 has said on the subject. 

This part did catch my eye, was this always there?

If there is a complaint from either party, notice must be given to Airbnb within 24 hours of check-in.

Does that mean if the guest decides to complain about the lack of oven use, or temperature after 48 hours, tough beans?

@Jennifer178 "Philly only allows 180 nights a year occupancy" - this illustrates exactly why some people will be more affected than others, there are so many different contexts and it would be preferable for Airbnb to trust hosts to do the tweaking to suit the circumstance.

@Jennifer178, nothing is new about this policy, EXCEPT the point that now guests can get their service fee back from Airbnb in certain situations, up to 3 x a year. It really isn't a big deal, not worth getting all riled up about.